Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Soldering Iron recommendations

Post by Bg »

Good thing about Weller is they are repairable, you can buy every part for them. Elements through to screws.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

Agree. I have a couple of Wellers, bought around 1979. Both still going. Excellent irons.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Bg wrote:I would have thought RS Components or Farnell stock Weller though? There was a shop down the road in ellerslie that used to do Weller, so they are obtainable locally. I just don't use an iron enough to buy a station.
My inner tight-arse won't let me get a soldering station... it's not like my current iron is dead, after all, and it does everything I want, so I can't bring myself to let the moths out of my wallet :/
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I won't either... if you look at the soldering iron vs multimeter threads....
I won't spend hundreds of dollars on something that heats something up.... but I'll spend on a decent multimeter that will be accurate ;)
Some do both, I don't solder enough nowadays. I'm happy enough if it heats the joint, I know when its flowed. The cost of the iron heating it is of no importance ;) I still prefer a good meter ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

alanp wrote:
Bg wrote:I would have thought RS Components or Farnell stock Weller though? There was a shop down the road in ellerslie that used to do Weller, so they are obtainable locally. I just don't use an iron enough to buy a station.
My inner tight-arse won't let me get a soldering station... it's not like my current iron is dead, after all, and it does everything I want, so I can't bring myself to let the moths out of my wallet :/
Out of everyone here, you probbaly use one the most too :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dredge! Looking at Chinese soldering stations on AliExpress, anyone had any experience with them?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

No. But I'd go Weller everytime if I could, still... wheres AlanP these days?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

last active
15 Feb 2018 06:56 pm

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Lurk mode enabled, I miss his posts!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

After a bit of deliberation I've ordered a Yihua copy of a Hakko, they seem pretty good for the cost, bought direct from Yihua as it seems other sellers are selling these too (for cheaper) but it could be a cheap copy of a cheap copy of the real thing :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YIHUA-9 ... 24669.html

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

nice, hope your house doesn't burn down ;)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:Not wanting to hijack your thread OP, but can anyone tell if it is OK to grind a new sharp point on my big mofo of a soldering iron (the one I use to do grounding for pots etc)? I intend to make it sharp, then immediately heat and coat with flux & solder. Should I not do this for any reason?
I always do that; re-shape the tip with a file or grinder. Works fine, just shortens the life of the tip. Bear in mind if your iron is big and powerful, a fine tip will be very hot. Plan to work fast.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:After a bit of deliberation I've ordered a Yihua copy of a Hakko, they seem pretty good for the cost, bought direct from Yihua as it seems other sellers are selling these too (for cheaper) but it could be a cheap copy of a cheap copy of the real thing :lol:

Pretty sure that's the model I have. Got mine from TM though. Works fine, just have to use the right tip for the task.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:After a bit of deliberation I've ordered a Yihua copy of a Hakko, they seem pretty good for the cost, bought direct from Yihua as it seems other sellers are selling these too (for cheaper) but it could be a cheap copy of a cheap copy of the real thing :lol:

Pretty sure that's the model I have. Got mine from TM though. Works fine, just have to use the right tip for the task.
That last comment :lol:

Ordered a bench top power supply too, got lots of making to do once the 3d printer arrives, so having a variable power supply for doing guitar and arduino stuff etc will be handy dandy!

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:
codedog wrote:

That last comment :lol:
You're most welcome ;)