Learn me about pedalboards - and maybe sell me one!

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Learn me about pedalboards - and maybe sell me one!

Post by JHorner »

Depends on your budget really. Myself i started off with a bit of plywood while figuring out what i wanted to do. I think theres a bunch of used patch cables on trademe. Best deals Ive seen on power supplies have been here on the forum.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

first up patch cables, get a friend with a soldering iron, and order bulk cable and connectors, plan your layout on the board and cut cable to length, buy more cable than you need, it will take you a few to get it right. you can get cable locally or internationally.

Local, Livesound, Nowsound (whirlwind cable is nice), Jansen (proel), Amber tech, maybe something at surplustronics if you are cheap, Avoid jaycar, avoid music shops, although some people like the george L stuff Music works have (or at least had)
International: I know the pedal sites tend to have stuff, Mammoth electronics, if you know what you want, rscomponents (free shipping) Mouser, or digykey. id get witchcraft rightangles or similar, and avoid the pancake style connectors. buy tin/lead solder, not the new lead free stuff. if you buy extra cable you can get your guitar cables the right length from amp to board too.

Supply, there must be something on the various pedal supply sites about how to get the right one for your pedals. as a general rule look at the pedals, most production stuff tells you how much current (amps or milli amps A mA) it draws. the power supply needs to have more. so a pedal using 500mA needs a supply of 500mA or greater. most of your pedals will be running 9v dc, but not the big ones with the "special' power supplies.

some good news: if you have small fuzzes and stuff which use 150mA you can daisy chain or link these together up to the rating of the power supply, big supplies have a rating for each output (1A = 1000mA) but the pedals have to be on the same polarity (important for custom fuzzes by some dude on TM) and same voltage (e.g.. 9v which covers 99% of pedals)

most of the fancy ones also offer AC output for more difficult pedals, like your EHX compressor, if you spend enough you could avoid having an annoying multiboard on your board and have a single box, single power cable, that would cover them all. and if you can't buy it off the shelf, your friend with the soldering iron might be able to make it for you.

what you need to do then is note down all the specs of your pedals, voltage AC/DC how many 9/12/???,current draw in mA or A, then shop the available supplies with your totals.

worth noting, some pedals no matter what you do hate to share, keep spare batteries just in case.

on the board itself, there are many options depending on the depth of your pockets and enthusiasm for diy, that can be repurposing dish racks, drilling wood, or shopping online, do some research. Id build the whole thing, but then I don't even play guitar.
b.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

witchcraft should read Switchcraft,
b.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

https://www.thomann.de/gb/electro_harmo ... dapter.htm

shows the specs for the power supply for your EHX tube thing, note 12v AC 1A though hungry i'm prettier sure there are commercial supplies that cover this, mother option is to have someone enthusiastic remove the supply from the plastic, and rehouse it in another enclosure, along with any other supplies, again specific task, but it would loose you the need for a 4 way power board,
b.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Frey wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1135199983

bidding on this, stay away! lol
it's got probably got not quite enough outputs, but you can get away with daisy chaining on or two right? it's got an 18v for the ad80, so that's sweet. Also the normal battery connectors are old and fucky in it so it's good to stop using batteries. I should probably solder in a couple of new batter leads, but hey, I'm lazy. I can work a soldering iron btw, so I guess that friend is me!
If you can find one of the bigger ones, or a Modtone one, you can probably power the EHX Black Finger off it too. I'd definitely be looking for one box to power all pedals.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Flick the compressor that runs on mains power, it's just gonna be a pain in the arse. There are plenty of other compressors around that run on 9vDC and don't need much juice to run (my MXR only draws 19mA).
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

I used the 1 Spot CS7 and CS12 found them to be amazing and cheap for a new multi PSU.. pretty much run everything I threw at it.
I think a good power supply and high quality cable made the biggest difference.. in terms of tone suck and noise.
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

An easy option would be to make space on/under the pedal board for a nice mains multi-board. Put your wall warts on that and a 1-spot daisy chain for the battery pedals.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I use one wall wart for all my 9v pedals. Techincally yes, it does do that stuff, but with the pedals i'm using there isn't any noticable noise coming from the pedal chain. I think a big part of it comes down to the individual pedals you're using.

The Korg PB tuner has a daisy option on it too.

The first thing you should is write up a table/list of the mA & V requirements for each pedal

*Disclaimer: I'm not that electrical savvy either*

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

HD500X
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

Never compromise on wankfactor, keep the giant compressor.
b.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Wankfactor, great name for a compressor
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

You can have what you want in a box if you want to build it, I made this thing for a guy who had a big multifx thing that wanted a bunch of AC 1.2A from memory. Plus a bunch of smaller pedals, can't quite get the size down as small as the pros, but this supply had no extra unwanted stuff, all parts easily sourced through Rs, or mouser. And it's about the size of the voodoo labs

b.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I started off with a bit of plywood and Velcro, but I really liked Alanp's idea of tying all his pedals to an oven grille with zip ties.

It doesn't damage the pedals like sticking Velcro on them would.

The prob with Velcro is that is often covers up the label at the bottom of pedals that lists when and where they were manufactured, etc. So if your pedals are old ones the resale value might depend on that label that's now has Velcro stuck to it.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook