Anyone tried the Disaster Area DPC 8EZ switcher?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Pedal switchers. What say you?!

Post by AiRdAd »

The one I use is a Cusack one. It has got nine loops - three are stereo. You can use it as a normal switcher, or else you can assign any combination or pedals to each button. It's also got switchable buffers before and after the effects, and has got a button that you can assign all your pedal tap tempo's too. It's got a tuner out, and all of button too.

I got it cheap second hand, and the price I paid for it, I'm super happy with it. It is quite expensive new, so may not stack up against the boss offering etc.

Also... if you are going to get a basic true bypass multi loop pedal, I'd still recommend trying a buffer with it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

AiRdAd wrote:The one I use is a Cusack one. It has got nine loops - three are stereo. You can use it as a normal switcher, or else you can assign any combination or pedals to each button. It's also got switchable buffers before and after the effects, and has got a button that you can assign all your pedal tap tempo's too. It's got a tuner out, and all of button too.
I'd forgotten about these ones Danny! Cusack make some great gear, and PBT6 would basically be perfect for what I'm after. I really like the 'slave' function it has too. It would be a bit over the top, but it would be pretty cool just having your pedals off the side in a 2U rack with one PBT6 in there and then just slaving it to one at your feet onstage. Almost like a rack setup but a bit less complicated. Then I could just have my Wah and Hotcake in front of my feet with the PBT6 next to it.......now I'm just dreaming :lol:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

The Carl Martin Octo-switch sounds like it might fit your need too. They come up on TM from time to time. You can use them as a basic looper, or you can assign pedals to each patch using little dip-switches. Pretty neat. Worth checking out.
Nothing to see here.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Miza wrote:The Carl Martin Octo-switch sounds like it might fit your need too. They come up on TM from time to time. You can use them as a basic looper, or you can assign pedals to each patch using little dip-switches. Pretty neat. Worth checking out.
Yes.....but it's red.....haha. I half joke, but I have looked into them! :thumbup:

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Any chance anyone has had experience with the Disaster Area DPC 8EZ?

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: Anyone tried the Disaster Area DPC 8EZ switcher?

Post by sirvill »

This Moen unit is pretty good... just got it wired up last night, does the trick, and super easy to programme, plus a heap of options for "outs".

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

sirvill wrote:This Moen unit is pretty good... just got it wired up last night, does the trick, and super easy to programme, plus a heap of options for "outs".
Cheers for that! I've had a good look into the Moen too. I'm still a bit on the fence, but am down to about three different options currently and just trying to work out which one looks like it will best work for me I guess. Have you noticed any 'pop' sounds when using the footswitches?

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Nah no pop sounds at all on my unit, with the combo of pedals I'm using.

The footswitches are actually "soft touch" ones so they don't click when pressed, so perhaps that stops them from sending a pop sound through?

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Yeah, generally soft switches seem to work better I've found. Good to know, thanks for that Sirvill :thumbup:

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

sirvill wrote:This Moen unit is pretty good... just got it wired up last night, does the trick, and super easy to programme, plus a heap of options for "outs".
How many in and outs on your one Chris?
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Polar Bear wrote:
How many in and outs on your one Chris?

So,
- 9 loops, 6 of which are send/receive, and 3 which are in/send/receive/out so can be used for amp channels switching
- buffered in
- buffered out (which is internally patched thru)
- non-buffered in (if you don't wanna use the unit's buffer)
- "clean out" which activates with the mute switch (got it going to tuner)
- two loop outs which tap off after the first 6 loops

...which sounds confusing, but gives you heaps of options. Right now I have loop 5 as an "effects loop" loop (send to front of amp, return from effects send), and I then patch an out to loop 9 in, and use the loop 9 send to go back to the amp. I'll use loops 7 and 8 for amp switching. Like this: http://www.moenfx.com/gec9_config5.html

There are a few diagrams on this page: http://www.moenfx.com/gec9.html#

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Haven't had the dpc 8ez but have had the dmc5. Disaster Area stuff is really really high quality, well thought out gear. The guy is super passionate about what he does and is constantly trying to improve with firmware updates etc.

It's definitely the best bang for size value you will get. There are bigger units that do a lot, but the functionality he packs into a little unit is astounding.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

MattAnt wrote:Haven't had the dpc 8ez but have had the dmc5. Disaster Area stuff is really really high quality, well thought out gear. The guy is super passionate about what he does and is constantly trying to improve with firmware updates etc.

It's definitely the best bang for size value you will get. There are bigger units that do a lot, but the functionality he packs into a little unit is astounding.
Yeah, they certainly seem that way. Currently the two leading candidates are the DPC 8EZ and the Cusack PBT6. To be honest, I suspect neither would be a bad investment for what I'm after.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

have you tried the OneControl stuff?

I used to use a OC10 - was great.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

SimpleSi wrote:have you tried the OneControl stuff?

I used to use a OC10 - was great.
Na, I haven't! I'll have to have a look at them :thumbup: