Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: plz help the pedalboard newb

Post by jeremyb »

Frey wrote:forgot the boss DD3 I just bought.

Where do you guys go to get sturdy velcro? I'm gonna be needing some
Rockshop has packs of the stuff :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

SOunds like you need the voodoo pp2 - it has a 'courtesy outlet' for your mains powered pedal - and if it doesn't have 18v I think they supply a voltage doubler with it.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Yea PP2+ with a voltage doubler (you have to buy that separately) will be the go. Rockshop is also the place to get these, not cheap though.

Just run a multi box from the courtesy outlet for the wall warts.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Frey wrote:forgot the boss DD3 I just bought.

Where do you guys go to get sturdy velcro? I'm gonna be needing some
Mitre 10? Bunnings?

The stuff I bought said on the pack how much weight it would hold. I think it was a couple of kilos.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mysteryroach
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mysteryroach »

If you want a CIOKS power supply, hot rox uk currently has a black friday sale for them for 10% off (EDIT: may actually be over now? Try and see if the coupon works. It's "BESTPSU%")

So for a DC10 that's £157.50 minus 10% + shipping (which was decent. I got the power supply, and 14 cables for £16.67 shipping).

The guy retroactively applied the discount after I didn't notice there was a Black Friday coupon till after the fact - so figure I should make the recommendation due to the dude being a good quim. Dunno how much longer the sale will be going for though.

I recommend you look at your power requirements (i.e. list out current+voltages, and which will strictly require isolation - and include any pedals on your wishlist) and work out what you need. The 8 outlets of the DC10 should be enough a little bit of breathing room.

Looks like the DC10 might have the edge over the PP2+, but the 4x4 might have the edge over the DC10? The 4 high current outputs of the 4x4 might be a bit overkill for your needs though, unless you plan to get a bunch of digital pedals.
http://www.guitareffectspedals.com/Ciok ... 11_web.pdf
http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/Cioks_ ... arison.pdf

"hard to find cloverleaf power plug" made my eyes roll on that last one though lol.

The downside is that CIOKS power supplies can potentially be a bit of a pain in the ass due to the fact they use RCA style plugs rather than the standard barrell plug. I.e. if you need to plug something in and don't have your cables or a compatible one on hand, you can't borrow somebody elses, and probably can't buy them at a standard music store (hot rox is the cheapest I've come across - otherwise, you gotta make your own cables with RCA plug on the end - or just use another cable and replace the end with RCA either with adapter or soldering it on).

That's definitely a consideration you should make. So IMO the RCA plugs are a disadvantage due to the fact they aren't the "standard" plug, but some think like them because they're more heavy-duty but tbh I think that only provides dubious benefit.

The upside is that CIOKS has the 120/230V switch so you can use it overseas and more easily sell it (i.e. can sell it on international market if it comes to that) if you want to. With Voodoo Lab, you have to buy the right voltage version. CIOKS doesn't require a voltage doubler as it has its own isolated 18V 100ma section. Also has 12/15V if you need it.

Decibel 11 is another power supply to consider, and I think offers much better value for money than both the CIOKS and Voodoo Lab. 110/230V switchable. Requires a voltage doubler for 18V though.

I think there's some Australian power supply brand that's also really good value for money? Someone here probably knows it.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

My power supply, highly recommend: http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... rrent.html

There is a CS7 if you have less pedals too.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I have the CS7 and i can't fault it. Looks like you'd need the CS12 by glancing at your list.

If you update your list in the OP with the mA needed for each pedal and whether you want to use the wall wart for it, that would help with the recommendations.

Bag o' velcro from the Rockshop

What brand/model is the pedalboard

mysteryroach
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mysteryroach »

sirvill wrote:My power supply, highly recommend: http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... rrent.html

Didn't realize those were so cheap. TIL about switching power supplies.

On that topic, it might be worth learning the difference between switchmode and transformer PSUs. I only skimmed this thread just then:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... e.1730096/

This quote stood out to me:
"The choice of PSU design is determined by the requirements. If you need efficiency, high current, small size the switching power supply is the way to go. This is what many people actually expect from power supply and I have no problem with it.
But if you need low level of various artefacts, high current dynamics (think of first-order derivative), reliability the classic linear power supply with big transformer and high quality big filtering caps is a reasonable choice."

There were a couple of reports of potential noise problems with gain pedals - and noticed analogmike shoved a like on one of them posts so there must be something to it. The Strymon guy chimed in - and it sounds like it all comes down to how well a switching power supply is designed to deal with these issues. Truetone probably knows their stuff when it comes to power supplies - so I imagine their own ones are well designed for noise - but I'm just speculating. There also seems to be a question regarding potential loss of dynamics with gain pedals though.

That said - Sounds like the One-Spot is the way to go. A larger more expensive transformer-based supply may only provide very very dubious benefit for the $$$.

Take anything I just said with a massive massive grain of salt though. I'm not an electrical engineer. I literally just read about this stuff in the last 30 minutes. And only skimmed it really. Doesn't stop me from talking out my ass :P But fair warning: do your own research.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

mysteryroach wrote:
sirvill wrote:My power supply, highly recommend: http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... rrent.html

Didn't realize those were so cheap. TIL about switching power supplies..

Yeah they're really well priced as well.

Also velcro might be cheaper from Spotlight :D