Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Re: Quick AC adaper question

Post by Snarblinge »

that depends, usually I get them from one of the pedal specific sites, I only use switchcraft or neutrik jacks, and the 3pdts I use whatever. chinese blue white black red etc. Recently I have been getting this lot from mammoth. with the different pot shafts being so annoying when I get to the final step (i.e. sticking on the knobs) I have been buying rare parts/jacks/switches/pots and knobs in one hit, from pedal partsplus/mammoth/BLMS/banzai i have looked at the aussie pedal parts crew but have never bought from them, also smallbear, although I have some transistors I want from him so one day will pull the trigger on that. otherwise its the big guys as stated above, mouser, RS. Element14. in cases of extreme necessity only jaycar, though I feel dirty every time.
b.

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jehu »

Snarblinge wrote:well if it makes noise and it's your first one, then you are in the upper end of ability, based on my years of forum following... (that is a compliment)
Thanks -- I'm hoping to eventually work my way up to building a 5E3 amp, so that's promising!
Snarblinge wrote:reducing the value of the input and output caps will generally alter the bass response, check the value of the transistor you bought, the code often has a sorting component e.g.. C456a c456b c456c, they are the same transistor but the gain range is determined by that last letter, depending on what you bought will depend if this is the case. I have been caught before. gain is on the data sheet usually as "hfe" a bigger number is loosely "louder" but circuit dependant. also try the stock pot. in my experience, tweeps are best attempted after the thing is up and running. if you are placing an order from mammoth or similar again, collect a handful of pots of different values (the shipping is the killer part anyway) buy a few switches, toggles and stomps, as these are the bits annoying to source local. then buy basically everything else as required from RS. the shipping is free. I now also stagger purchases from element14 and Mouser depending on what i need they have minimum orders for shipping. but they sell the hammond enclosures we all love, and the fancy resistors that look like sausages, which i like to use. also on dc barrels, I like the lumber ones, mouser have them, banzai also sell them (but the shipping is killer) they are only good if you don't want internal battery (i.e. no switch) but small and nice looking. if you need random little bits, ask, I may be able to help.
I can't see anything written on the transistor, and I don't have the sleeve it was packaged in anymore. But it is this one:
https://www.mammothelectronics.com/coll ... transistor

I will definitely order a bunch of alternate components to sub in, but it will need to wait until I have more to order... shipping is a killer for such cheap parts! Now I also kind of wish I had installed sockets rather than soldering directly to the board...
Jay

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

If you are in auckland plan a visit to surplustronics, you can collect a range of transistors and caps to sub in. If not, take a look at Rs components free freight on all overs, and prices tend to be cheaper than jaycar. The expensive parts are the jacks and switches and enclosures, I know it was hard work, but the cost of that board was about $3, make another one or four, perhaps invest in a breadboard, although I have no luck with them, a good solder sucker was a better investment for me.

Start collecting parts for the amp. They are easier to build than pedals in many ways. Just voltages which can hurt a little more, and more sensitive layouts.
b.

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jehu »

Excellent -- thanks for all of your help, Snarblinge. I appreciate it!
Jay