Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Re: Pedalboards, hardwood or tolexed?

Post by WellyBlues »

Have a look at the flash dovetails at the end of the video:

Last edited by WellyBlues on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Bg wrote:It's a prototype, if I go with it I'm thinking rosewood and white oak. Or similar. Or plywood and tolex etc.
My vote goes to dark wood dovetailed with a lighter type to show off the joinery. If you're going to the trouble of making proper joints, then show 'em off I say. Rosewood and white oak may be a little on the heavy side but strong and rigid and damn nice to look at. Very tidy! Impart some extra thickness to fuzz and wacka-wacka-chang to wahs no doubt.... :D

If you went the plywood route, then a nice, birch or poplar ply with matched ply lines at the joints would look well nice.

Which ever way, if you're putting the work or nice timber into it, show it off. Tolex is for covering up the blemishes on low-skilled, factory churned out, work pieces (a la Fender, Gibson, et al) to make them look like domestic consumer appliances (luggage). Somehow we've come to see tolex as a symbol of a bygone era of quality....maybe.
Too much junk, too little space. There are two lambrettas in there somewhere. It's my winter workshop, so will get tidied up, some time.... Before winter. Probably.
Lambrettas?! Two of them?! How old? What models are they? Are they mobile? Do you need to shift them on to tidy up the shed?... :wink:

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jehu »

I've made a few smaller boards in the past... I swear I do use other materials than macrocarpa!

Jay

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

dayum! i wish i was talented like some of yous!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

clubhouse wrote: Lambrettas?! Two of them?! How old? What models are they? Are they mobile? Do you need to shift them on to tidy up the shed?... :wink:
They've been on the renovation list for more than 10 years now, one engine was about finished... they're nothing special, indian made ;) They did turnover when I got them.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Bg wrote:
clubhouse wrote: They've been on the renovation list for more than 10 years now, one engine was about finished... they're nothing special, indian made ;) They did turnover when I got them.
The SIL Lammies are goers. The tooling and factory is all Innocenti derived and set up. It's only cork sniffers that have an issue. All the UK go-faster kit fits and parts are largely available...but you probably know all this :wink: There used to be a nut-job German dude in an Auckland scooter shop that was an ex-pro, scooter racer...Goertz I think...he raced a NOS'ed Lammy :wtf: But yeah, get 'em on the slab and fettled over winter for cool rides next summer.

It's the Vietnamese Vespas to be wary of. Many come over here as restos from chop-shops where they've taken two separate donors and tacked them together with spit and poo. But ugly welds that rust under the paint and bubble and crack so the frame eventually folds up. :thumbdown:

And back to the pedal boards...you've got skills mate...show them skills off with tasty wood choices and finishes.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I sort of lost interest in them, but they are on the long term list. Shipping parts did prove somewhat expensive but its probably cheaper and easier nowadays. Maybe time to kickstart that project again. boom boom.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So, a bit of movement, picked up a piece of oak and some kind of hard red wood (maybe cherry, it was an offcut I liked the look of)
Started on a board

So the big question is - how do you like your pedalboard tops? fully slotted? size of slots? plain that you can drill your own holes in? Carpeted, painted black or velcro stuck on.

Cheers

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:So, a bit of movement, picked up a piece of oak and some kind of hard red wood (maybe cherry, it was an offcut I liked the look of)
Started on a board

So the big question is - how do you like your pedalboard tops? fully slotted? size of slots? plain that you can drill your own holes in? Carpeted, painted black or velcro stuck on.

Cheers
Shit that looks cool Beeg, t'would be a shame to cover a joint like that up.
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

any thoughts on pedalboard top?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

That looks choice!
What about hardboard/particle board for the top? Nice and light but strong.
Or perspex?
Nothing to see here.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I would use horizontal slats that are whatever the velcro width is. Maybe half a slat for spacing between? wide enough to put any plugs through. I've only used standard boards so can't comment on the other set ups.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Top will be plywood and fixed, bottom will be plywood and removable, thinner plywood too :)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Jehu wrote:I've made a few smaller boards in the past... I swear I do use other materials than macrocarpa!
Macro seems to be one of the sexier woods .. always seems to have flame or spalt..yes it tends to twisted, but if you dry it right then its fine
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:Top will be plywood and fixed, bottom will be plywood and removable, thinner plywood too :)
totally the right choice. I visit adrian last week (got 2 awesome bits of silky oak, a maple fretboard and a rosewood neck)...he still has the neck he blank he did for you haha
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be