MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Pedal Repair in NZ? (Analog delay)

Post by MogwaiBoy »

My Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail analog delay is doing the "lights on but no ones home" thing. At first the signal through the pedal was massively reduced, then cutting in and out intermittently, then it just went completely silent. This happened over the space of a couple of days but probably 20 minutes playing time in total as I was troubleshooting trying to figure out which pedal was doing it.

It's out of the warranty period - a shame as I barely touched it when it was within the warranty (my mistake). Prymaxe forwarded me to Seymour Duncan and they said they don't do fix-and-return for internationals, and suggested I find someone local. They said it's a very simple analog circuit and shouldn't be too hard. Something makes me think it might be just a loose connection or faulty footswitch.

Any gurus who can help? How much? PM me!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: Pedal Repair in NZ? (Analog delay)

Post by Delayman »

Waylon McPherson is great. He sorted an old DM2 for me and he’s also done good work on other pedals. Easy to deal with.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

By the way, I really like the vapor trail pedal. I use a volume pedal in the trs loop so I can control the delay volume. Worth fixing. Have you tried to see if there is a signal coming out of the loop? That might narrow it down.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Thanks Delayman! The Waylon suggestion was spot on - I forgot about him. He specifically mentions pedal repair services on his website too. Have emailed him.

Can you output a signal from the loop output with just a normal cable? I've not used the loop because I thought you needed a fancy 2-out/1-in TRS cable which I haven't looked into sourcing.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

MogwaiBoy wrote:Thanks Delayman! The Waylon suggestion was spot on - I forgot about him. He specifically mentions pedal repair services on his website too. Have emailed him.

Can you output a signal from the loop output with just a normal cable? I've not used the loop because I thought you needed a fancy 2-out/1-in TRS cable which I haven't looked into sourcing.
You do need a trs cable I think, not sure if a normal cable
Will do anything

Just tried it and if you use a normal lead from that trs output it sets up a massive feedback loop so must be hearing the send/return both. Would be interesting for you to see if signal is getting that far at least.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

There's nothing fancy about a simple TRS to 2xTS :) you can get them from all the local vendors.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

have you tested it on battery vs power? bypass ok? open it up and check the wires to jacks, though from a google it looks like there is a board on the stomp. and it is largely smd (ie a bitch to work with, if it is more than loose wire/faulty pot.)
b.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Mattallica wrote:There's nothing fancy about a simple TRS to 2xTS :) you can get them from all the local vendors.
yep,i believe its also known as a Y cable,used for things like insert points on mixers for example.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

Probably not worth buying a y cable especially if you have no use though. I’d just be sending to Waylon. I only suggested trying the loop output to narrow down the possible issues.