Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Spruce_Moose
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 11 times

Making stuff in Wellington

Post by Spruce_Moose »

Hey everyone, I just moved to Wellington and was thinking it'd be cool to catch up with people who make stuff here. When I was in Dunedin I was pretty keen on starting a space for pcb machine assembly, CNC cases, Painting, screen printing etc. basically to make small manufacturing runs and prototyping affordable with a shared setup, with some workshops/classes to tech how to run machines or procedures for anyone interested.

It might not be something that'd work for a lot of reasons.. but it would be interesting to hear any thoughts!
Btw I'm aware there is the Fablab here, but I figured this might be more commercial.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Making stuff in Wellington

Post by TmcB »

I’m interested, for sure.

Wanted to get CNC routing for my pedal cases so I could make things more modular, like having the IO side of things its own component but I’d need precision drilling for that.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Spruce_Moose
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Spruce_Moose »

Your stuff looks awesome! I've been getting cases from Disaster Area in the States. It's quite expensive for shipping and only really worth it for 100pcs or so, but had the advantage of a one-stop shop.. although it had months of back and forth and a few mix ups. I tried pricing what it would be in Dunedin for an engineering workshop to do machining (I have fader slots) and a powdercoater do the rest. Eye watering, even compared with having things transported around the planet..

Also keen on making development more modular. The latest version of Eagle has a cool building block feature but I haven't dug into it yet. It could be added to as a collective. I spent a fair bit of time last year making MOSFET protection modules that can be dropped in as single discrete parts to add overvoltage protection and polarity correction. Might be useful to other builders just to drop them into their main schematic before making a PCB or creating board templates for different case sizes.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

wish you were setting up up here, all sounds exciting, though I exist in one off realm, am getting closer and closer to board fabbing for the stuff I like. been getting pretty lazy recently and building readymade pcbs.
b.

Spruce_Moose
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Spruce_Moose »

Whatever saves the most time! I've gone back to the breadboard recently after sorting out all my stuff in www.partsbox.io

Hadn't been organised enough to do it efficiently for several years and just went straight to fab PCB prototypes and cut traces to mod out errors :bummed:

It's been awesome just to see stuff happen on the fly again. Also can recommend https://www.falstad.com/circuit/ - Handy for mucking around before breadboarding Opamp and FET circuits.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Congrats on your progress . Very cool
Watching your pedals find fame around the world
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

thanks for the tip on parts box, could be easier in some ways to my spreadsheets of parts, remote access is nice. i'll have a play
b.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

If I ever get my pedal ideas built in going to 3d print the enclosures so they can be really interesting, did that for my boss katana switcher and it turned out great!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

jeremyb wrote:If I ever get my pedal ideas built in going to 3d print the enclosures so they can be really interesting, did that for my boss katana switcher and it turned out great!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

to be fair, that should have a big butt plug that vibrates built into it. Just for JB
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

There's not a pedalboard big enough to hold one that will actually touch the sides!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:There's not a pedalboard big enough to hold one that will actually touch the sides!!
We can rebuild it. It may cost 6 million dollars....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.