Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3502 times
Been liked: 717 times

True Tone CS7 repair

Post by Cdog »

Asking as I'm sure someone here has had one of these apart at some stage. One of my 9V 200mA outputs intermittently drops out, then instantly turns back on. Maybe once an hour. All other outputs are going well. Anyone fixed one of these before?

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: True Tone CS7 repair

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I had one of these. After a couple of years the outputs began intermittently dropping out too. Turned out to be grime in and corrosion of the leads they supply, plus the input jacks. A good clean out with contact cleaner sorted them out. Hopefully that's all that's up with your one, otherwise there's that bloke down south that saves busted pedals and stuff (it could also be a broken solder joint for that jack). I forget what he calls his bizzo though. Someone here will know who I mean.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’ve had my CS7 apart twice, first time it was dropping in and out on one of the 500mA outputs. Tech traced it to the cheap electrolytic caps, we replaced a few and it sorted the issue for around 2 years until recently I was getting a bunch of noise from it which was getting progressively worse. opened it up
Again and replaced all the electrolytic caps I could practically replace and it fixed the issue.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 521 times
Been liked: 164 times

Post by mule »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm I otherwise there's that bloke down south that saves busted pedals and stuff (it could also be a broken solder joint for that jack). I forget what he calls his bizzo though. Someone here will know who I mean.
Might be this guy? https://www.fantailaudio.com/

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Bad filter caps as Reg says, dodgy DC jack maybe, or the regulator on that particular output.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Cheers all 🙂👍

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

mule wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm
Aquila Rossa wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:37 pm I otherwise there's that bloke down south that saves busted pedals and stuff (it could also be a broken solder joint for that jack). I forget what he calls his bizzo though. Someone here will know who I mean.
Might be this guy? https://www.fantailaudio.com/
That's the one. I have never dealt with him, so can not vouch, but he seems legit and has fixed lots of pedal it appears.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

New caps in. Hasn't faulted again yet, but needs a proper soak before we'll call this fixed. Clearing off the workbench for this was a good excuse to repair a joycon at the same time :thumbup:

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

mule wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 pm Might be this guy? https://www.fantailaudio.com/
Might be. :wink:
Aquila Rossa wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:39 pm That's the one. I have never dealt with him, so can not vouch, but he seems legit and has fixed lots of pedal it appears.
Just a few. :D
Cdog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm New caps in. Hasn't faulted again yet, but needs a proper soak before we'll call this fixed. Clearing off the workbench for this was a good excuse to repair a joycon at the same time :thumbup:
Nice one. :clap:
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com