Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: show us your home made pedals

Post by rocklander »

Ironbird13 wrote:
rocklander wrote:LOVING the use of the ps2 mouse for cabling... reduce/reuse/recycle.. nice 8)
so what cabling is best and what cabling not to use??
all the cabling I use in mine is from old CRT monitors. the VGA leads that go from the monitor to the computer have HEAPS of cables and lotsa colours to keep consistency for signal path etc.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

ralley wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:Hey thanks for that! What's Vero ? is that like breadboard for test building circuits?

Also, do you have a layout for the SHO?
Vero (also called stripboard) is a form of simplified, pre-done circuit board. Arghh, too hard to explain, check the vero layout here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... c=61290.20 about half way down the page. BTW I didn't have a BS170 MOSFET so I used at 2n7000, still sounds great (after I used a working transistor!).

Cheers, Rob.
Thanks for that, I've registered. Hopefully should be able to see it tomorrow

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

robnobcorncob wrote:
Argh that bank up up/down/bypass MIDI footswitch looks like fun. Google results = Zilch thus far :roll:
this sequential looper the sort of thing you're after?
http://electroconducive.googlepages.com ... tiallooper
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

I have a 9volt DC jack (from a crybaby PCB) that I want to put in a footswitch that currently has its LEDs powered by an internal 9volt battery. It has 3 connections, I assume they're positive, negative and ground ?

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

robnobcorncob wrote:I have a 9volt DC jack (from a crybaby PCB) that I want to put in a footswitch that currently has its LEDs powered by an internal 9volt battery. It has 3 connections, I assume they're positive, negative and ground ?
Nah I expect it's actually Pos, Neg and switched. They are used to automatically disconnect the battery when you plug in the jack. To all intents and purposes in a pedal DC negative is ground.

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

This wiki page pretty much spells out to me everything I ever misunderstood about effects:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index ... le=DIY_FAQ

So I feel obligated to share the knowledge! You might have to register there to view it, but it is worth it, honestly.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

robnobcorncob wrote:This wiki page pretty much spells out to me everything I ever misunderstood about effects:

So I feel obligated to share the knowledge! You might have to register there to view it, but it is worth it, honestly.
cheers Rob, looks like a very helpful page
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

robnobcorncob wrote:This wiki page pretty much spells out to me everything I ever misunderstood about effects:

what interests me is that this page, and almost any other site or forum I have found recommends smallbear for parts.
they're more expensive than many places out there, and I had a pretty poor experience with them. took over a month to send some optoelectronics (for a phaser) and that was after (IIRC) about 3 weeks of me sending various emails to them with about a 1 in 3 response rate (first 2 went completely unanswered). their emails were almost terse in nature and I would only deal with them again as a last resort.

I guess the likes of ash, CD and cheeseboy777 have raised my expectations of customer service and smallbear didn't even register on the scale of comparison.
effectsconnection.com remain the benchmark for US retailers for pedal components for me...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

oh, and if you're looking for resources on wiring up a 3pdt footswitch, I've seen a bunch of diagrams on the web, but this one takes the cake for clear diagrams.. VERY easy to see and it makes more sense to me showing the signal paths on the switch (as in, other wiring methods work too, but this one seems the most logical to me YMMV)
http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/though ... p-a-1590b/
(he also has libraries for Eagle PCB designer thingy that has most of the common pedal components already in it.. and videos on how to use eagle too apparently)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Wow, that's really clear. I like that.
Just finished my tubescreamer clone :D
Damn it sounds good!
First build so had a few hiccups (in and out jacks a couple mil too low, two unnecessary holes in case)
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

tonymcbony wrote: (in and out jacks a couple mil too low, two unnecessary holes in case)
mitre10 or any other hardware store sells 'needit'. I got the metal one.. just cut off a slice and knead it into a ball of putty, stick it into the gap and it sets hard as metal and can be drilled.. mine's taken a bit of a workout heh..
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

bajaman black toast update.
I managed to put some graphics on this box. the rest of the housing is still blue, but I really like the motley effect of the white over the face of it, and it means I can use my home laserjet for the black decals.
old:

new:

I'm stoked :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Thats looking good there Rock, how's it sound? I've been meaning to build a blacktoast as part of my "build every boost" project. That finish is starting to look like something Dragonfly over at DIY stomp does.

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

not familiar with their work sorry :oops: . I just wanted a background that was lighter so I could print the decals on my own printer (monochrome).

soundwise I really like it. as Steve suggests in his description (and explains it as his reasoning) the 2sk117 is a really noise-free fet compared to the ever-popular j201. due to that the boost is very clean up to just over half way, when it starts to break up very nicely. but even at just over half boost it is still significantly louder than the input signal so it'd be great as a lead boost, even if the lead was going to be clean.
the buffer is still something I need to get my head around, but Steve explained that it's effectively an even-across the board volume drop (no loss of any particular frequency) so it can be used to push the amp a lil harder, and even as an effective boost itself by disengaging it to get the full signal.
is that how you all would explain a buffer?

I put up a PCB design on fsb cos I'm crap at vero and even worse at 'dead-ant' :lol: .
happy to send it if ya want.. I'm in the middle of making a couple more for a couple of mates (no I'm not chargine - not my scene anyway, but especially off someone else's design).
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

blown electrolytic killed my thor... replaced that and the op-amp and she' all go again - yay!
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass