Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Trueman
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: show us your home made pedals

Post by Trueman »

Thats looks absolutely Brillian Rocklander!! Well done. Want to enclose my Memory Man Deluxe into something smaller!!??
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz
http://www.john-trueman.com Guitarist from Down Under

** Voodoo Labs, Xotic Effects, T-Rex Engineering, Lovepedal, Malekko, Pigtronix, George L's, Mi-Audio, Suhr, Lave Cable, ZVEX, RJM, LEHLE + **

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Trueman wrote:Thats looks absolutely Brillian Rocklander!! Well done. Want to enclose my Memory Man Deluxe into something smaller!!??
:lol: thanks
I am a complete.. um .. I guess 'tool' when it comes to 'tooling' :wink: so I think I'll pass
I really struggle with any part that is not just the basic soldering so fitting this was a real challenge .even the drilled in/out jack holes are a lil askew :oops: .
I really need to make some kinda template for getting the 3 jacks all in just the right spot.

I'll be more inclined to do all the work I can beforehand by redesigning the PCB before I try and shoehorn something big into a smaller housing. have found pcbexpress to be better for me cos although it's not as diverse and complex as eagle, it is visually more to my way of thinking.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Trueman
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Trueman »

rocklander wrote:
Trueman wrote:Thats looks absolutely Brillian Rocklander!! Well done. Want to enclose my Memory Man Deluxe into something smaller!!??
:lol: thanks
I am a complete.. um .. I guess 'tool' when it comes to 'tooling' :wink: so I think I'll pass
I really struggle with any part that is not just the basic soldering so fitting this was a real challenge .even the drilled in/out jack holes are a lil askew :oops: .
I really need to make some kinda template for getting the 3 jacks all in just the right spot.

I'll be more inclined to do all the work I can beforehand by redesigning the PCB before I try and shoehorn something big into a smaller housing. have found pcbexpress to be better for me cos although it's not as diverse and complex as eagle, it is visually more to my way of thinking.
Thats cool man.. Let me know when you wanna give it a crack. I rekon there would be a good little market for you rehousing large EHX pedals.
http://www.guitarpedals.co.nz
http://www.john-trueman.com Guitarist from Down Under

** Voodoo Labs, Xotic Effects, T-Rex Engineering, Lovepedal, Malekko, Pigtronix, George L's, Mi-Audio, Suhr, Lave Cable, ZVEX, RJM, LEHLE + **

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Nice one rocky - tight fit alright. I hate boxing up effects, always seems to take forever and never ends up as neat as I want. This weekend I just finished off a Germanium fuzz Face and changed out a dodgy switch in my Silicon Fuzz Face. I've got a Distortion + that just needs the wiring finished off, really battled with the paint on that one, never buy cheap shit "Aussie Export" spray paint, its crap. Also got to finish up boxing a rat.

What does the Thor sound like? I'm keen to try a BSIAB next and then maybe a Thor.

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

ralley wrote:never buy cheap shit "Aussie Export" spray paint, its crap.
I have a couple cans sitting on my shelf never to be tried again... total crap huh :lol:
ralley wrote: What does the Thor sound like? I'm keen to try a BSIAB next and then maybe a Thor.
well right now it sounds like a box of heavily distorted farts cos I wanted to bias it up plugged into my vox . it's biased to the suggested pin voltages at the moment but I usually find biasing them by ear a bit better (I also have the drive pot reverse wired :oops: so will fix that tomorrow before I start the biasing.)
I'm hoping the farty sound is cos I've got it plugged into my mac-ruby and it's being a bit flaky at the moment.. I really need to get off my backside and check it over heh.

the samples on the R.O.G. site are stellar for heavy high gain. the bright and bottom switches are an interesting idea, clearly designed for punching in lead break I guess but I would have thought that a tone pot would be more useful.. dunno.. I don't think I'll be using it myself cos I'm so happy with how the supreaux and odie serve me.

[edit] oh, and this is the first pedal I've built trying to use a bus-bar type thing on the earth. I've pulled apart some 3-core house wiring (power point gauge - not sure what size that is.. the slightly fatter than lighting) wire and strpped back the shielding. when I get to mastertrade next time I'll grab some 30 or 45 amp fuse wire and use that cos it's easier to solder (I hear). I like the idea of the bus-bar and think I'll continue to use it. also handy to use the stiffness to keep the board 'in-place'.[/edit]
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ralley
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ralley »

Here's the gut shot of my completed Distortion + build, this thing sounds great, awesome for Dio, Ozzy and Maiden stuff. This one was finished in the dodgy spray paint that I mentioned above, after 4 days drying time this stuff is still soft. The clear coat over the top (same brand) caused the colour coat to wrinkle. The clear seems to work fine on top of another brand of colour though.

This was my first go at printable decal paper for the labelling, worked well (and the paint didn't wrinkle underneath). Also first build I've used shielded cable on (input and output jacks to switch), still pretty noisy but just due to the level of gain I think.

Gut shot: Image

And wrinkled, finger printed outside: Image

Rob.
- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

nice stuff dood. shame about that paint.. it really is a crap product huh.. and yet, I'm still gonna try and use mine somewhere :roll: glutton for punishment.

the noise might also be the unshielded dc cable perhaps?. in my supreaux/odie I actually threw in a wee 7809 with filtering caps to quieten the lot down and it helped a bunch.

ralley wrote: What does the Thor sound like?

I threw the thor into the vox and it didn't need biasing at all.. voltages suggested by R.O.G were bang on it seems. great thick heavy distortion tones that clean up to a nice overdrive almost to clean with the guitar volume rolling off.

drive has a surprisingly good range. doesn't quite hit the 'just breaking up' stage, but not far past it.

the 'bright' switch works well up to about 3 o'clock on the drive pot, but after that hardly noticeable.

the 'bottom' switch kicks in a really nice big fullness at al levels. it's like taking out the ear plugs.. love it actually.. could be a nice option to make footswitchable for lead if housed in a large enough enclosure, and since the switches are just spst then a simple (read - 'cheaper') dpdt stompswitch with an LED on the 2nd pole would easily do the trick.

the master volume works really well.. the dive doesn't suffer much at all when winding the master down so the distortion/drive can be fairly evenly maintained through to a significant boost in volume.

so it proves that the ugly/farty sound was one or two of two things - my macruby solid state 2 watt test amp and/or my noisy @rse $5 DSE 9v test power supply.
when I powered this with my laptop-9voltified psu (them laptop ones are filtered for africa!)it was sweet as. a lil bit of hum, but totally acceptable on such a high gain pedal through single coils.
I really like the thing, and if it doesn't get take off my hands (somebody may have their eye one it - no worries about being a dodgy 'sell R.O.G. pedals guy'.. only selling for the price of parts.. less even) I'm not sure I'll be totally upset as it can stay in my arsenal.. prolly just never get used in my live rig cos we just don't go that heavy really.

I can recommend it as a build, but make life easier on one's self and put it in a slightly larger housing 8)

tomorrow night I start on the black toast :mrgreen:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ralley
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ralley »

Aha, also gonna try a Blacktoast, I'm addicted to boosters - love my Sparkleboost, still got a SHO to box up and a Rangemaster and Brian May treble boost waiting to be bread boarded. My problem is I build these things intending to compare them without boxing them up and either like them so much or just can't be bothered comparing so I box them up any way. Thank god I got a job today - need to pay for all the pedals on my build list (about thirty!)
- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

ralley wrote:Aha, also gonna try a Blacktoast, I'm addicted to boosters - love my Sparkleboost, still got a SHO to box up and a Rangemaster and Brian May treble boost waiting to be bread boarded. My problem is I build these things intending to compare them without boxing them up and either like them so much or just can't be bothered comparing so I box them up any way. Thank god I got a job today - need to pay for all the pedals on my build list (about thirty!)
it freaking adds up doesn't it :lol:

that's kinda why I'm prolly selling the thor for the cost of parts.. so I can get more and build other stuff heh

Hi.. my name's Ivan and I'm a pedalbuildaholic...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

latest effort.. the SG1 slow gear attack from GGG

I think in the pictures the stickers look really good.. in reality they don't look hot at all... :oops:

.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

looks cool
rocklander wrote:I think in the pictures the stickers look really good.. in reality they don't look hot at all...
shouldve used real cogs then it wouldve been proper Steampunk 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Good jaaaaaaaaaaaab!

Graphics are a bit busy for my taste, but still a nice bit of kit. So when do you start taking customer orders? :wink:

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Jenesis wrote:Good jaaaaaaaaaaaab!

Graphics are a bit busy for my taste, but still a nice bit of kit. So when do you start taking customer orders? :wink:
yeah, I had a MUCH better graphic printed on the same A4 but was foolish enough to change the text to blue.. and on the green (already painted) box it was just a lil too wrongburger.

Not such a fan of the sticker cos for me it seems no matter how much clearcoat I put on it always either lifts and/or leaves a nasty edge.

orders? happy to make a pedal for anyone that sends me the parts. not my designs so it's not only against the license agreement to make and sell them, but I'd also feel like a total toad doing it (I never designed it... just assembled it).

anything in particular you want/need?
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

rocklander wrote:anything in particular you want/need?
a pedal with that "instant guitar god" switch :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Ironbird13 wrote:
rocklander wrote:anything in particular you want/need?
a pedal with that "instant guitar god" switch :wink:
dood, I told you I'm no good with labels... :lol:
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass