Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

Re: show us your home made pedals

Post by ralley »

...the building continues, got my 3PDT switches from Effects Connection (6 days to ship from the US, not bad). In a burst of inspiration I added the off board wiring to a Distortion Plus clone I built. This is from my first batch of PCBs that I etched and in another first it worked first time. It's noisy as hell but that's probably due to the lack of case, long wiring and wrong pots (just for testing).

ImageImage

Next up, finish my Rat clone - just needs a cap and some off board wiring:

Rob.
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Speaking of home made pedals...

I had an idea the other day, wooden pedal cases.

Sounds a bit dumb at first since wood offers no shielding capabilities, but Terexgeek kindly provided me with some awesome copper sheilding foil that would take care of all kinds of business. The idea of lacquered mahogany and maple pedals that match your guitar or whatever you want it to match is growing on me, especially since my SCM overhead router is just the best to do the job.

If anyone wants to try the concept out, PM me and I'll do a couple to experiment with.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

Sounds cool ash, especially for some valve driven overdrive pedals or something.
(((Òran Mór

ralley
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ralley »

A guy called John Lyons from the diystompboxes forum does some awesome wooden enclosures, check them out here:
http://www.mrdwab.com/john/woodpedalenclosures.html
- Warren Zevon

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

ralley wrote:A guy called John Lyons from the diystompboxes forum does some awesome wooden enclosures, check them out here:
http://www.mrdwab.com/john/woodpedalenclosures.html
whats with the bridge and locking nut setup on the snakeskin guitar?
http://www.mrdwab.com/john/Pedals.html

is that some sort of weird tremolo system?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

ash wrote:Speaking of home made pedals...

I had an idea the other day, wooden pedal cases.

Sounds a bit dumb at first since wood offers no shielding capabilities, but Terexgeek kindly provided me with some awesome copper sheilding foil that would take care of all kinds of business. The idea of lacquered mahogany and maple pedals that match your guitar or whatever you want it to match is growing on me, especially since my SCM overhead router is just the best to do the job.

If anyone wants to try the concept out, PM me and I'll do a couple to experiment with.
I don't have the measurements on me, but the thread of the I/O jacks, dc jack, pots and stompswitch isn't a lot.. would wood offer the stability that would be needed when so thin? not messing with ya, I seriously want to know.. I would have thought that a few good stomps on the switch may send it thru the wood :?:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Obviously the wooden box needs thicker walls and especially a thicker face than a zinc box. But that isn't the end of the world as pots and jacks are available in longer thread formats for just such applications. The only real drama in that respect would be if you wanted to enclose a kit that came with short thread hardware and there was no readily available long thread equivalent. In that case youd just have to go with a zinc box.

When I'm at a computer that doesn't die on exposure to that website I'll see what he has done and put some thought into the practicalities of it...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

fair nuff then.. sourcing parts here in vegas isn't easy at the best of times (I actually have to read the specs and stuff on webites and we all know how I love to remain ill-informed :wink: - once I ended up with SMD trim pots :roll: )

as for ideal enclosures, I reckon if somebody could start producing enclosures (whatever material that is up to the challenge) that are shaped like this, they'd be onto a winner.. the homebrew marked are really keen on them
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ralley
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ralley »

Ask and you shall receive, Mick at the diy stomp boxes forum makes a similar enclosure that he sells:

- Warren Zevon

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

nice one bro! got a link to where he sells them? (or is it straight off the forum?)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ralley
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ralley »

Yeah straight off the DIY stomp boxes forum I think, try the classifieds section - that's where the photo came from.
- Warren Zevon

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Man someone should make a vomit pedal! Instead of knobs it can have a carrot n peas.
:mrgreen:

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

rob_on_guitar wrote: carrot n peas.
that would be a good name for a Danelectro pedal :lol: :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

ralley wrote:Yeah straight off the DIY stomp boxes forum I think, try the classifieds section - that's where the photo came from.
thanks man.. found 'em. at <US$20 each that's pretty reasonable for the desired shape..
will stick with my hammonds for now though ( I have like 5 enpty ones waiting for pedals heh...)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

hippy01
Fender
Fender

Post by hippy01 »

Hey, wheres a good place for a n00by to start regarding building pedals? Im pretty decent at electronics, but ive forgotten some of the symobols etc. Anyone have a basic as fudge distortion or OD pedal layout or plan, that sounds good?

ANy help would be cool, as i can exactly afford to spend loads of cash on pedals i could make for less than $30..
Get all Whammy'd up on it!