Hot Rod Deville 212 or 410

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

El Chris
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Hot Rod Deville 212 or 410

Post by El Chris »

upgrading amp, can't decide between the 212 (2x12" speakers 60 watt) or 410 (4x10" speakers 60 watt), pretty sure everyone else is exactly the same, 410 is $100 more.

Opinions?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: Hot Rod Deville 212 or 410

Post by The Scarecrow »

El Chris wrote:upgrading amp, can't decide between the 212 (2x12" speakers 60 watt) or 410 (4x10" speakers 60 watt), pretty sure everyone else is exactly the same, 410 is $100 more.

Opinions?
Other guitarist in my band has the 4x10, and in the band prior to that, the rhythm guitarist had the 2x12.

I prefer the tone of the 4x10. Smoother, brighter and more clear sounding. They were both using similar guitars with them (335's and a strat & tele respectively) and I much prefered the 4x10 my current bandmate uses. It seems to cut through more for most things.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The blues Deville is a stupidly loud amp that doesn't do quiet without mods. If it was me, I'd get a Blues Deluxe (or Hot Rod) and one of those 112 extention cabs for them. That way you can have a 212 when you need it, or just take the smaller combo when you just want that. That's what I'd do anyway.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

I have a Hot Rod Deluxe (1x12 40 watts). It sounds great but I really like the sound of the Deville 4x10 (except for really heavy tones where I would probably want the 2x12, but if you want heavy this probably isn't the right amp).

Most Rockshops have both side by side, try them out.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

mr_sooty wrote:The blues Deville is a stupidly loud amp that doesn't do quiet without mods. If it was me, I'd get a Blues Deluxe (or Hot Rod) and one of those 112 extention cabs for them. That way you can have a 212 when you need it, or just take the smaller combo when you just want that. That's what I'd do anyway.
+1!!!
But, if you have to choose one of the two, then personally I would go for the 4x10 like the scarecrow says, its brighter, smoother, and cuts thru the band better. I think of 4x10 being slightly scooped in the mids and with a very round, not boomy bass. 2x12 usually has more mids and a bigger fatter bass.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

It's a clean amp though, no one's buying it for it's overdrive. You use pedals with it so it's good that it has heaps of clean headroom

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

thehenderson wrote:It's a clean amp though, no one's buying it for it's overdrive. You use pedals with it so it's good that it has heaps of clean headroom
+1!!!
Nothing wrong with stupidly loud amps either - though obviously they sound much better with the words 'Marshall' on the front :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

bluesgeek wrote:
thehenderson wrote:It's a clean amp though, no one's buying it for it's overdrive. You use pedals with it so it's good that it has heaps of clean headroom
+1!!!
Nothing wrong with stupidly loud amps either - though obviously they sound much better with the words 'Marshall' on the front :)
I have no problem with loud amps, I want my amps to go loud, but I want them to go quiet as well. The HR Deville in stock form just doesn't do quiet. 1 on the dial is too loud for many situations. I believe this is just due to Linear pots in the volume instead on Logarithmic ones. An HR Deville would be unusable for me, I would always be getting told to turn down at practise and at church. I like the PV Classic 50 410 because it's just as loud at full volume, but does the whole range. It turns up gradually, so it still works great at low volumes. Far more versatile. Also has a very useable drive channel, unlike the Fenders. Just as much headroom too.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

The Deville 4 10 I used for a long time worked really well on a volume of 1, with an overdrive pedal. I just remember having to stay clear of the gain channel. That's really interesting about turning up gradually, the marshall amps I've owned have been worst and being super quiet until BAM way too loud

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

I tried out the 410 yesterday in the rock shop, used it in their back room so i could crank it without pissing off to many customers, was breaking up really nice at around 6 on the clean, i'm gonna have to get some ear plugs for this bad boy if i decide to get it.. todays the day though.

They usually chuck in an amp case + foot switch aswell right?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

It should come with a footswitch and canvas cover. A case would be extra, I'd expect.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Yeah they used to

Make sure you price challenge it through musicmachine.co.nz . Because they'll quote you a low price but they don't keep stock and they're in napier. But yeah, don't pay retail! Don't do it. Also, devilles come up on trademe repetitively often for cheap

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

yeah i plan on jewing them off their profit dont worry ;P

how much do devilles usually go for on trademe?

El Chris
Squier

Post by El Chris »

http://goodvibrations.co.nz/products.ph ... u1_1_7&t=1

anyone know anything about these guys? i realise it's a 2x12 but it's only 1600 compared to the 2100 the rockshop want for the 4x10

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

The fact that it's been recently serviced is good, but still, you should be able to pick up a used one for less than that.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz