Holy sh*t! -video of new 65 amps at NAMM

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Holy sh*t! -video of new 65 amps at NAMM

Post by AmpShop »

Capt. Black wrote:
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Awesome!

And yes, that's the way to do it!

Wanna come play?
Absolutely.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Aquila Rosso wrote:good rant ryan.

I'm sure the 65amp are awesome. The clips don't entrall me with them yet, may be a matter of taste.
Luckily you stock them so we can try before we buy (not that I'm gassing for a new amp just yet).
But with many products we can't test them out first, so clips and artists recordings are as close as we can get to having an idea of what the amp is like.
I remember when all we had to go on was guitar world mag reviews. So we all bought the best sounding amp that one of our mates owned or we saw at a gig etc.
It's great to have so much info available these days. Helps to prevent the "I wish I didn't get sucked into buying this piece of shit amp" scenario

I get your point. I'm in no way running down London amps. That is why I said that I want to hear you demo once next time I'm down your place with stompbox gas.

Importing Ceriatone or anything esle is not as an attractice option as early last year for me. I'm hoping for a strong kiwi dollar soon.
It would be great to bring in a "shipload" of kitsets and parts etc when the dollar is strong again.
I for one would love to build an amp bit by bit over a few months.
Absolutely, and remember dealers such as myself are in the same boat - there's a hell of a lot of gear I'm yet to try myself. The mag reviews I like, particularly Guitar Player and Premier Guitar, because you know these guys have had access to a lot of great gear so they can be a bit more objective when reviewing. And hey, there's a lot to be said for choosing an amp based on a mate's amp or an amp heard at a gig - that really how most of the boutique amps get their entry into the market too.

I totally understand you're not running down 65amps at all, as you say, a lot of it is still a matter of taste at the end of the day.

Ceriatone is still going to be the most attractive option financially for that sort of thing i.e. a hardwired boutique amp, but yes, not so attractive at 50c to the dollar ... plus personally, I can't help look at them and think about the kind of tweaking/upgrades I'd want to try e.g. Sozo caps, a Mercury transformer - and before you know it, I've spent a whole lot more money and come up close to the price of a US-made counterpart that uses that grade of components in the first place. But that's just me :lol:
THE AMP SHOP LTD

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote: Ceriatone is still going to be the most attractive option financially for that sort of thing i.e. a hardwired boutique amp, but yes, not so attractive at 50c to the dollar ... plus personally, I can't help look at them and think about the kind of tweaking/upgrades I'd want to try e.g. Sozo caps, a Mercury transformer - and before you know it, I've spent a whole lot more money and come up close to the price of a US-made counterpart that uses that grade of components in the first place. But that's just me :lol:
Yes. But the marshall clones are probably more reliable and made to a higher standard than the current Marshalls aren't they ?

The price of an Overtone Special special is pocket change compared to that of a vintage Dumble. Although I can probably count on one crippled hand how many people who have played a dumble ODS and a Ceriatone ODS side by side.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I really like the idea of building a clone amp one part a week over months as a sideline hobby sort of thing.
But I'm put off by the whole ordering on the net, shipping and customs thing, too much of a pain in the butt for me to go for.
I'm sure many more people would get into amp building in NZ if it was alot easier to get the good parts.
I wish we had a metroamp or ceriatone kind of shop "just around the corner" where you could wander down on payday and buy the next bit for your hobby amp. Like a Dick Smiths that is full of ptp boards and NOS parts.
Living in NZ sure has pros and cons.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

robnobcorncob wrote:
CustomAudioBoutique wrote: Ceriatone is still going to be the most attractive option financially for that sort of thing i.e. a hardwired boutique amp, but yes, not so attractive at 50c to the dollar ... plus personally, I can't help look at them and think about the kind of tweaking/upgrades I'd want to try e.g. Sozo caps, a Mercury transformer - and before you know it, I've spent a whole lot more money and come up close to the price of a US-made counterpart that uses that grade of components in the first place. But that's just me :lol:
Yes. But the marshall clones are probably more reliable and made to a higher standard than the current Marshalls aren't they ?

The price of an Overtone Special special is pocket change compared to that of a vintage Dumble. Although I can probably count on one crippled hand how many people who have played a dumble ODS and a Ceriatone ODS side by side.
I was referring to US-made boutique clone counterparts, in the case of Marshall-style amps this would be Reinhardt, Germino, MetroAmp etc.

The Dumble/Overtone is a an anomaly due to the mystique, scarcity and bizarre circumstances that surround Dumbe. Very much a special case. Probably better comparing the Ceriatone Overtone to US-made Dumble clones such as Two-Rock, Carol Ann, Brown Note etc.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:

I was referring to US-made boutique clone counterparts, in the case of Marshall-style amps this would be Reinhardt, Germino, MetroAmp etc.

The Dumble/Overtone is a an anomaly due to the mystique, scarcity and bizarre circumstances that surround Dumbe. Very much a special case. Probably better comparing the Ceriatone Overtone to US-made Dumble clones such as Two-Rock, Carol Ann, Brown Note etc.
Ah I see. Haven't heard of those but I know Two-Rock are crazy expensive and the stuff they built for John Mayer seemed very cool. Don't FUCHS fall into the Dumble clone category too ?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Fuchs, yeah, they do a Dumble type amp, but they also do a few models that are very unlike a Dumble.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Fuchs, yeah...
LANGUAGE, Ryan.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Andy Fuchs must never, ever get tired of that one.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Andy Fuchs must never, ever get tired of that one.
What about Ben Fargen?

-to this day I still don't know why he doesn't call his amps things like 'ridiculous', 'unbelievable' and 'awesome'.

...cept maybe the new carvin/Fargen Vai amp. That could well be best named 'average'.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I don't give a rats spherical exit point, if the Lil Elvis sounds 30% as good in real life as it did on that clip I'm still selling my wife for it...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves