thinking of buying a new amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

majinbuu1023
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

thinking of buying a new amp

Post by majinbuu1023 »

atm I Have a 10w practice amp and I'd like something a little better/bigger/louder

any reccomendations, have about $2500, im just a begginner really though, maybe I should buy a new guitar?

also, love the sound, just before the solo in november rain, that slash makes, anyone know how I can get a similar sound?
Last edited by majinbuu1023 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: thinking of buying a new amp

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Les Paul and JCM 800 jubilee series marshall, Dunlop Slash Fuzz Wah.
Play like Slash with that gear and you will get really close to his sound. I heard people nail his sound with other amps as well though.
At the moment you will get lots in the second hand market on TM etc for 2.5k.

Unless your gat is real C&N , you could probally spend about $400 on a good pick up/s, fretwork, electronics and setup, to get you by until you have saved for something really special (Gibson Les Paul, not a Fender aye!!).

Amps. If you want Slash's amp it's on TM right now, pricey but very nice, Marshall JCM 800 jubilee combo.
You could probally get it for not much more than 2k, leaving money for upgrading your current gat.
The seller is a member of this forum.

Some people may say don't worry about buying expensive gear when you are learning.
I say that if you love playing and see yourself playing for years to come, buy something that makes what you learn sound nice. Don't waste money buying crap that you will want to get rid of later on.
Also if you buy a nice used amp in the current depressed market and look after it well, you wouldn't lose money (Especially the Jubilee, that would always keep it's value).
There are lots of people here who can give good advice on any used amp you are thinking of buying.

Seriously though, This all depends on what your current gat is. No point buying a nice amp if your guitar can't be made better with a few upgrades.
You can also get some nice tube combos used for about 1k on TM atm and there is a coulpe of Gibson SG specials too for about 1.3k. That would set you up nicely for the 2.5k you have so far.

Steer clear of modelling and solid state stuff (Tube amps are the only way too go for most eletric guitar styles), unless you want to do computer recording or live somewhere where volume would be a problem.

Just holla for a Marshall (my baised opinion)
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

If you're just starting out, make sure you wanna keep playing before you drop a big wad of cash, you may not get it back on resale, especially if you buy new. There's a Peavey Classic 30 for a grand on TM at the moment that would probably be good and last you well into your playing life judging by what others have said about them. That leaves you $1500 to buy a guitar or upgrade your current one, and maybe some pedals too.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

hamo wrote:If you're just starting out, make sure you wanna keep playing before you drop a big wad of cash, you may not get it back on resale, especially if you buy new. There's a Peavey Classic 30 for a grand on TM at the moment that would probably be good and last you well into your playing life judging by what others have said about them. That leaves you $1500 to buy a guitar or upgrade your current one, and maybe some pedals too.
+1

I have a Jackson JJ Custom with Bareknuckle pickups on trademe for $600 (can you say 'slitting my own throat' ? :lol: ) It does the Slash thing and then some.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

I concur - that would be a very decent "slash" sounding guitar for the money, very fucking decent indeed. The pickups alone will cost you that much or thereabouts these days (new I mean).

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

sambrowne wrote:I concur - that would be a very decent "slash" sounding guitar for the money, very fucking decent indeed. The pickups alone will cost you that much or thereabouts these days (new I mean).
Cheers Sam, I really might just keep it at this rate.

Lemmings
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Lemmings »

*COUGH* http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 14&ed=true */COUGH*

PM me if you're interested or want to know more about it.