Building a combo amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Building a combo amp

Post by rocklander »

in before simon
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote:
Braden-M-50 wrote:Hey guys, what would adding in a 10" greenback do to this amp? Because i think 2 of the same speakers is a bit boring and if i can get some cool sounds going on with another speaker it could be worth it..

Any ideas?
I thought you were getting shot of it?
Mate im as indecisive as they come :P

If i can't get it finished by the end of this month though i may have to seriously consider offloading it as shipping everything to aus would be a hassle .
Fender Strat w/ 57/62s ---> Ceriatone Princeton w/ Jensen P10R

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Braden-M-50 wrote: After tolex gets here theres nothing to stop me finishing the amp :twisted: btw have you got all the other goodies to go with it? like the handles and rubber feet and stuff?
Yes I do. PM me and let me know what you need.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Sweet, pm'ed you Ryan.

I think when i get the tolex and wiring ill see which i prefer, front mount or rear ...

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Tolex came on friday.
So got everything now, just need to pick up some bolts to mount the speakers and some adhesive spray for the tolex.

Borrowed Druz15's AC30 and Cab for a gig last night and so i was running the princeton through the cab this morning 8) I like.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Update: rear mounted the speakers last night... looking good. Not too sure if i want to tolex this beast myself as i could be wasting a lot of money if i stuff it up. and i probably will.
Thinking of maybe taking it to an auto upholstery place... anybody done this before?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Update: rear mounted the speakers last night... looking good. Not too sure if i want to tolex this beast myself as i could be wasting a lot of money if i stuff it up. and i probably will.
Thinking of maybe taking it to an auto upholstery place... anybody done this before?
yeah, that's what I did for my jansen cab (and will be doing again for the new combo when she's that far along).. cost $60 as a cashie... very happy with the result.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

rocklander wrote:
Braden-M-50 wrote:Update: rear mounted the speakers last night... looking good. Not too sure if i want to tolex this beast myself as i could be wasting a lot of money if i stuff it up. and i probably will.
yeah, that's what I did for my jansen cab (and will be doing again for the new combo when she's that far along).. cost $60 as a cashie... very happy with the result.
Did you have to supply them with the adhesive stuff? Or did you just give them the tolex and cab and they did the rest?
Im pretty hamoed at the moment though, gonna be hard to get this cab finished.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

I just gave them the cab... they had the vinyl already, and the adhesive.. that $60 was for everything.. course, it was a pretty good deal, but still..
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

rocklander wrote:I just gave them the cab... they had the vinyl already, and the adhesive.. that $60 was for everything.. course, it was a pretty good deal, but still..
So where did you get it done? Unless its a local store then dont worry..

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

Braden-M-50 wrote:
rocklander wrote:I just gave them the cab... they had the vinyl already, and the adhesive.. that $60 was for everything.. course, it was a pretty good deal, but still..
So where did you get it done? Unless its a local store then dont worry..
yup.. local upholsterer... check out upholsterers in the dunners.. see if any of them work from home... they're the ones more keen on cashies ;-)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Cool.. will do that tonight.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Just tried the Jensen P10rs in the cabinet with the PrinzeTone.
And i can say that it has the clean tone ive always wanted, so much warmer with the Jensens than the eminences in Druz15s cab which i would say would be more vox voiced..
But yeah.. Ill see if i can get a recording up tomorrow. Don't know if my chops are good enough though haha.
Oh and with these new speakers it seems to have a nicer breakup. Just warmer/Fatter in general..

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Glad your starting to warm to it and haven't got rid of it!
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

RuBear wrote:Glad your starting to warm to it and haven't got rid of it!
Yeah through those Jensens it really sings 8)