Building a combo amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Building a combo amp

Post by Bg »

Braden-M-50 wrote:
BG wrote:if you're just going to use screws, personally I wouldn't, you won't need them that long... about 3/4 depth of wood and speaker frame would be ample.
All this just over screwing in some speakers haha.
Shame there's no amp gurus in dunedin.
do it how you want ;) but there are two ways of doing a job... the right and the - oops wish I'd done it the right way the first time, now I've got to fix the bloody thing, way.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Braden-M-50 »

BG wrote:
Braden-M-50 wrote:
BG wrote:if you're just going to use screws, personally I wouldn't, you won't need them that long... about 3/4 depth of wood and speaker frame would be ample.
All this just over screwing in some speakers haha.
Shame there's no amp gurus in dunedin.
do it how you want ;) but there are two ways of doing a job... the right and the - oops wish I'd done it the right way the first time, now I've got to fix the bloody thing, way.
Ah, i see. I guess i want to do it the right way then.
Fender Strat w/ 57/62s ---> Ceriatone Princeton w/ Jensen P10R

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

You've never come across my Dad, then.

If he's making a temporary wooden cab that will be used for, say, ten minutes tops, he'll still glue up the joins and put screws in every hundred mils or so.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

alanp wrote:You've never come across my Dad, then.

If he's making a temporary wooden cab that will be used for, say, ten minutes tops, he'll still glue up the joins and put screws in every hundred mils or so.
so yeah, thats the right way :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

in before jeremyb...

...no... wait.. that's not what I meant.. :oops:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

rocklander wrote:
in before jeremyb...

...no... wait.. that's not what I meant.. :oops:
Shit I can't believe I missed that one! :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Alright... This looks like a mission.
So im going to head to Mega and get
T Nut
Bolts
Spray on Adhesive
Need to get wood cut

Is it really that much better to rear mount?
I've seen T-nuts in normal mitre-10's before, haven't looked at Mega, there will be a local nut and bolt supplier who will have them tho' :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

My 5E3 combo is back loaded with cap screw & wavey/spring washers retaining the speaker - aint never come loose.
It's a wonder because this thing shakes & boogies like you wouldn't believe.
I'm convinced that self tappers would tear out with this baby. YMMV.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

calling card wrote:My 5E3 combo is back loaded with cap screw & wavey/spring washers retaining the speaker - aint never come loose.
It's a wonder because this thing shakes & boogies like you wouldn't believe.
I'm convinced that self tappers would tear out with this baby. YMMV.

Yeah, i think im gonna go with just the bolts and washers/nuts. Will pick some up from mega this arvo..

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Give Bob Fields a call
http://www.rmb-electronics.co.nz/
when you've got all your supplies sorted. Take the amp round to his workshop and he should be able to show you how
to do everything properly.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

druz15 wrote:Give Bob Fields a call
http://www.rmb-electronics.co.nz/
when you've got all your supplies sorted. Take the amp round to his workshop and he should be able to show you how
to do everything properly.
Sweet. I'll give him a call tonight.
Cheers bro.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Hey guys, what would adding in a 10" greenback do to this amp? Because i think 2 of the same speakers is a bit boring and if i can get some cool sounds going on with another speaker it could be worth it..

Any ideas?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Hey guys, what would adding in a 10" greenback do to this amp? Because i think 2 of the same speakers is a bit boring and if i can get some cool sounds going on with another speaker it could be worth it..

Any ideas?
I thought you were getting shot of it?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Hey guys, what would adding in a 10" greenback do to this amp? Because i think 2 of the same speakers is a bit boring and if i can get some cool sounds going on with another speaker it could be worth it..

Any ideas?
It won't do anything to the amp :wink:

Adding a G10 Greenback would bring in more low-mid girth to the sound, and mellow some of the top-end twang/bite of the Jensen.

Mixed speakers are generally a sweet thing - that said, you've really got to try it because every now and then you do encounter a combination that's no so thrilling ... with the amp you're testing it with anyway.

Calling two of the same speakers "a bit boring" might be pushing it though - I wouldn't say that the 2x Alnico Blues in an AC30 are boring, or the 2x G12M in a Bluesbreaker combo, or the 2x P10R in a Tweed Super etc etc

BTW, your tolex has finally arrived and will ship to you today :D
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:

Any ideas?
It won't do anything to the amp :wink:

Adding a G10 Greenback would bring in more low-mid girth to the sound, and mellow some of the top-end twang/bite of the Jensen.

Mixed speakers are generally a sweet thing - that said, you've really got to try it because every now and then you do encounter a combination that's no so thrilling ... with the amp you're testing it with anyway.

Calling two of the same speakers "a bit boring" might be pushing it though - I wouldn't say that the 2x Alnico Blues in an AC30 are boring, or the 2x G12M in a Bluesbreaker combo, or the 2x P10R in a Tweed Super etc etc

BTW, your tolex has finally arrived and will ship to you today :D
Haha i guess i had that one about the amp coming :roll: .
Yeah there are some exciting speaker combinations such as the 2x blues. But 1 greenback and 1 jensen would also make it handy for recording...

After tolex gets here theres nothing to stop me finishing the amp :twisted: btw have you got all the other goodies to go with it? like the handles and rubber feet and stuff?