Building a combo amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tubeswell
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Building a combo amp

Post by tubeswell »

Yup, you need to tool-up to DIY, (and as every self-respecting 'lectric geetar player knows, you really need a more than one amp :wink: ).

But now you've started down the path, there is something to be said for puttin' one foot in front of the other until the journey is complete. (But beware that even once you have the cab and chassis etc finished, you will still most-likely have to trouble shoot it for a wee while.)
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Braden-M-50 »

tubeswell wrote:Yup, you need to tool-up to DIY, (and as every self-respecting 'lectric geetar player knows, you really need a more than one amp :wink: ).

But now you've started down the path, there is something to be said for puttin' one foot in front of the other until the journey is complete. (But beware that even once you have the cab and chassis etc finished, you will still most-likely have to trouble shoot it for a wee while.)
Yeah ill try and finish it this week haha.
Fender Strat w/ 57/62s ---> Ceriatone Princeton w/ Jensen P10R

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Just picked up 1200x1200 (12mm) of plywood for $37 at bunnings, pretty good stuff looks nice.
Im borrowing a jigsaw from a mate today. So ill hopefully finish the speaker baffle today.

Well Designed, Well Made tube amp + As little controls as possible = Best Possible tone

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Tried the amp out at Druz15's house today.
Im pretty impressed, has a nice overdrive and good clean.
Gets reaally loud.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Braden-M-50 wrote:Tried the amp out at Druz15's house today.
Gets reaally loud.
+1

farkkn nice crunch tone, lovely sounding amp. Keen to build one after my Plexi actually
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

druz15 wrote:
Braden-M-50 wrote:Tried the amp out at Druz15's house today.
Gets reaally loud.
+1

farkkn nice crunch tone, lovely sounding amp. Keen to build one after my Plexi actually
With the Falcon it was tonal bliss.
So much GAS for a falcon now!
Easily sounded the best out of the bunch there. That Tele sounded pretty sweet too though.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

druz15 wrote:farkkn nice crunch tone, lovely sounding amp. Keen to build one after my Plexi actually
Yeah, those Tweeds get fun when you wind them up. Ironbird got some surprisingly metal sounds out of mine with his gat.

They're like Plexi's, though, in that stock they only do crunch WHEN they're loud lol
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

alanp wrote:
druz15 wrote:farkkn nice crunch tone, lovely sounding amp. Keen to build one after my Plexi actually
Yeah, those Tweeds get fun when you wind them up. Ironbird got some surprisingly metal sounds out of mine with his gat.

They're like Plexi's, though, in that stock they only do crunch WHEN they're loud lol
that was the good thing, at 15W it was loud cranked, but not LOUD
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Almost done.. Just waiting on tolex plus things like handles and rubber feet from ryan.
Finished speaker baffle, spray painted it black, i dont want to put the grill cloth on just yet though , because with the tolex the baffle might not fit and i may have to cut a couple of mms of the sides.
Did the cutout for the chassis with a jigsaw and then used a router bit to round it. Looks pretty good :D
Not much left to do really. Until the tolex gets here.

Anybody applied tolex before and got tips?

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

Sorry for the huge pictures, ill try an resize them Im using photobucket, any one know how to ?

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

So the speakers install into the baffle from the front? How are you going to cover the baffle so you can still access the screws to install/remove the speaker?

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

OpenCoil wrote:So the speakers install into the baffle from the front? How are you going to cover the baffle so you can still access the screws to install/remove the speaker?
Yeah i thought about that. But if i dont like the speakers ill just make a new speaker baffle, lord knows ive got enough wood and grill clothe to make atleast 20 :P

Yeah i thought about mounting them from the back, but this way is easier and these are apparently the perfect 10" speakers for this type of amp. If i were to want a 12" id need to make a new baffle anyway... And im planning to build a 12" or another 2x10" extension cab for it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Looking good!! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Braden-M-50
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Braden-M-50 »

jeremyb wrote:Looking good!! 8)
Thanks bro!
I've seen pics of your tele and it's looking sick 8)

Tolex should arrive in auckland any day now. Which means i should have it by the end of next week..

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Its really no more work to fit the speakers from the rear, just drill holes for the bolts to go through, make them a tight fit and put a drop of glue on each one so that it doesn't move when you tighten up your nuts (oo-err).
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.