Cab designs

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Cab designs

Post by SammyD »

Hey all,

I am planning on building myself an extension cab. Not sure if I want to go for a 1X12 or an 2x12 yet but this will depend on building plans. Anyone have any build plans/designs for cabs these size? I can't find anything decent via google. Seems simple but I always like to have a good plan/design or tutorial before I start doing anything I haven't done before.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: Cab designs

Post by Miza »

I've always thought an angled 2x12 in a mini quad style was a cool design for a cab, with the speakers diagonally opposed.

Like a standard 1960A style, with the angled top so one speaker faces you.

Check out Matamp cabs, they do them like this.

There is also a Marshall cab that went with the 20W handwired Lead/Bass head that was similar I think.
Nothing to see here.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

I was more thinking of the 2X12 design similiar to a combo amp where both the speakers are ground level and not stacked on top of each other. This way I could stack it on top of a 4X12 in the future.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Righto.

Sounds a bit like mine then.

Check out the Swaps thread, page 22-23.

Someone just listed a 2x12 loaded with G12T-75's that looks exactly like mine. Pretty standard 2x12 design, cane grille on the front. Made by DC.
Nothing to see here.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

That looks pretty damn nice! Who is DC thou? And will he give me his design plans?

Oh and I like your Tele, very nice :)

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

babytaylor wrote:I've always thought an angled 2x12 in a mini quad style was a cool design for a cab, with the speakers diagonally opposed.

this is how I intend the combo for the jansen to work.
diagonal config, but the lower one will be angled up toward me, and the top will be flat face on.... gonna be a bit of eyeometer usage and plenty of trial/error to see if it actually comes off.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

rocklander wrote:
babytaylor wrote:I've always thought an angled 2x12 in a mini quad style was a cool design for a cab, with the speakers diagonally opposed.

this is how I intend the combo for the jansen to work.
diagonal config, but the lower one will be angled up toward me, and the top will be flat face on.... gonna be a bit of eyeometer usage and plenty of trial/error to see if it actually comes off.
So a concave look? Could be interesting.
Or will this be hidden by the grillecloth?
Nothing to see here.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

yeah behind grille cloth, but not so much concave as splitting the front panel bit (I'm sure there's a proper name.. is it 'baffle'? I know I am) vertically (so there's a defined left and right), then the lower speaker will have a section that is angled upward on one half, and the upper/rest of it will be flat.. that's the concept anyway... no idea if it'll work out.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

Won't the top speaker get in the way of the sound coming from the bottom speaker?

What is your reason for doing it that way, Rocky?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

twistedthoughts wrote:Won't the top speaker get in the way of the sound coming from the bottom speaker?
That's what I was thinking. But I guess it depends on the angle. You wouldn't be able to mic the bottom speaker.
Nothing to see here.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

to be honest, I'm not sure.. I'm sure there was a good one :lol:
I didn't imagine the angle would be sufficient for that to be an issue, but just diagrammed it up at a 30degree angle and I'd need quite a bit of height to avoid that.. may have to go with the top one angled..

ah! now I remember why.. cos the amp would be in the way if I used the top one.. may have to have a pretty seriously angled cab to enable the lower one to protrude more...
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

I've often wondered whether anyone has designed a guitar cab that is in the shape of a foldback wedge?

Provided your head had 2 outputs, or you're using the ext cab send on a combo.

Or you could use it on its own and mic it, then there is almost no stage volume for the sound guy to contend with. Would be brilliant for church.

I guess getting enough volume (space I mean) might be an issue?
Nothing to see here.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

I remember now how the upper speaker wouldn't be an issue.. so the speakers are diagonal as well, right? so the left half (for example) of the baffle thingy is flat, and the right one is like a very low angle V (kinda the concave you mentioned babytaylor)
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Gotcha! Yes because the speakers are diagonally opposed, so there would be two vertical halves to it. One concave, the other convex.
Nothing to see here.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

yup.. kinda.. I dunno exactly.. it's kinda in my head so there'll be some serious 'discussions' with the cab maker (workmate) as to what will actually work, and what's maybe a bit impractical/impracticable. worst case scenario though, I get a standard combo with both flat, or slightly angled.
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass