Old Valve Radio to Amp Conversion question

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

tj43
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Old Valve Radio to Amp Conversion question

Post by tj43 »

I have inherited an old valve radio which is in working order.Do any of the followers know of anyone in the South Island who could/would convert this into a guitar amp, my skills/knowledge in this area are below zero. It is a lovely old piece of kit and has an amazing wooden cabinet in remarkably good condition. Thanks in advance,

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4192 times

Re: Old Valve Radio to Amp Conversion question

Post by jeremyb »

tj43 wrote:I have inherited an old valve radio which is in working order.Do any of the followers know of anyone in the South Island who could/would convert this into a guitar amp, my skills/knowledge in this area are below zero. It is a lovely old piece of kit and has an amazing wooden cabinet in remarkably good condition. Thanks in advance,
Steve Bartlett would be your man, lives in Christchurch :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Another person to talk to is Guy Benfield, Electric Audio. PM me for his mobile number if you're interested.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Yeah, +1 for Guy.
He's worked on a couple of my amps, very good work, and well priced.
Ummm....

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 660 times
Been liked: 565 times

Post by TmcB »

Solid +1 to Guy Benfield.
Great dude, great work.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4192 times

Post by jeremyb »

He's got a facebook page for the so inclined: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Electric- ... 6495528561
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

tj43
Stagg
Stagg

Post by tj43 »

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply, I actually tried visiting Guy today (found him online) but he is having EQ repairs done so I have e/mailed him. Cheers,

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

To add to the shit in my Garage,I recently bought an old radio gram (yes like your nana and grand dad used to have) and the valve radio part is still in good nick. It came with a heap of new valves mainly AWA or Philips 6 av6 and some el 84 plus some others. My original thought was to make it in to a nice 2x12 as it already has wiring for two speakers (currently in situ down the bottom). The speakers are pretty small 6-8'' I think but it would be easy enough to either install a new front baffle or enlarge the holes already in there for new speakers. Looking at the amp part it has inputs for the turntable and possibly a tape recorder (Switchable on the selector knob) so a guitar input shouldn't be a problem???? The front cloth would be pretty easily replaced and the lift up lid is pretty neat with space for storing LP's it also has a balance knob for the two speakers so I am guessing it late 60's maybe. Made in NZ by Philco Lower Hutt, opinions welcome as I havent had time to have anyone look over it yet. It might end up at the Super Shed.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

^How're you going with this tim?^
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

so far no progress, my guitar tech friend is waiting on his amp guy to call I believe, at least as far as I know. I really should drop him a line I guess, have been busy. Thanks for asking.

tubeswell
Gibson

Post by tubeswell »

What sort of tubes does this radio have in it? And has it got a regular power transformer, output transformer and speaker?

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

Hi, not sure on the the tubes, it came with some spares, 6av6, el84 and another type which escapes me right now. I will try and get some photos up, thanks for your interest

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

[/attachment]
2012-12-23 13.32.18.jpg
looking at the second pic of the underside of the unit, I wonder if this could be solid state and valve? Maybe like a Marshall Valvestate amp? I know nothing about this stuff. it has two speakers in the lower cabinet, it must have inputs for the turntable and also a tape recorder (see the selector switch in the last pic)
Attachments
2012-12-23 13.33.06.jpg
2012-12-23 13.32.38.jpg

tubeswell
Gibson

Post by tubeswell »

That gutshot isn't much help I'm afraid. It on the wrong angle, too grainy, out of focus and not enough light. Can't get a clear look at it.

Pull each tube out and examine the writing on it and report back. (PS be careful not to smudge the writing by touching it directly with your fingers, many old tubes have writing on then which rubs off easily)

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

Hi again,
there are ECH81, EF89, EL84, EZ 20 AND 6AV6 valves if thats any help,