Plessey K25W (C80X?) speaker specs? + cab building ?'s

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Plessey K25W (C80X?) speaker specs? + cab building ?'s

Post by WellyBlues »

I have an old Jansen AP15 Combo Amp (2nd hand in 1982). It has 10" Plessey K25W speaker in it and I was wondering if anyone might know the specs on it. 8 ohm. I'm guessing 25watts. The label on the back of the cabinet says "Plessey C80X" so maybe that's the speaker model. "K25W" is stamped on the speaker.

Since the board in the amp is stuffed I was thinking of turning it into a 1x10 Cabinet.

Also, can anyone tell me if an 8ohm speaker in an external cabinet as I'm thinking about doing will work with the external output of a Fender Champion 600 amp. The manual for the amp says it requires a "4-ohm minimum external
speaker cabinet.". I know 8 is bigger than 4 but when it comes to physics etc I'm a fail! For all I know 4 ohm is bigger than 8 ohm in this context. The internal 6" speaker in the Champion is 4 ohm (and junk apparently).

Would I be alright to disconnect the board from the input jack, wire the speaker to the input jack in the cabinet, and connect something like the Champion 600?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Plessey K25W (C80X?) speaker specs? + cab building ?'s

Post by WellyBlues »

To answer part of the question myself, after exhaustive interwebbing, I can use the Fender Champion into the 8 ohm cabinet but I will experience some power loss. That might not be important in the context of the bedroom (home office actually).

More speakers could get tricky (parallel and serial configurations) and push the ohms under 4 which would cause the amp to overload and expire. Which would cause unhappiness.

You learn something everyday.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

WellyBlues wrote:You learn something everyday.
No I don't.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by WellyBlues »

Danger Mouse wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:You learn something everyday.
No I don't.
Or....you read a reply like that and laugh.

NZG...a good place to be!