Jansen 4/12

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Jansen 4/12

Post by Snarblinge »

anyone have any further info on one of these, looking to build something small, like the idea of some NZ herritage in the build.

schems pics, anything really.

or I'll go back to planning a heavily heavily modified 18watt.
b.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Re: Jansen 4/12

Post by Slowy »

I have one. No schematics etc but the amp's in perfect condition.

How can I be of service?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

NZSimon is the man to talk to on this. he was one of the main men there at Jansen in those days I think.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

I have a kiwi made solid state "wellard" amp - 18wt.,. like a mini blackfave looking thing.
just tone and volume
Attachments
wwellard.jpg
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Does that amp get you well 'ard, Kev? :wink:

Really nice tidy design and simple setup. How's she sound?

PS. If no online schem exists for a Jansen 4/12 and the other low wattage Jansens... someone should do one. Those circuits are NZ history that must be preserved for future generations of toannnnnnnnnsters :mrgreen:

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

I'm in research phase and agree it's a bit of history, just wanted to know more about it, there was a post on here a while back I was reading, that said it was 4 tube 12watt, which is the kinda thing i'm looking at how is it set up? PCB / tag? inputs, Tone/gain control, basic stuff really. pics would be nice. may build a replica. will hassle the Jansen vaults once i'm on the right track, as always NZG 1st port of call.

thanks
b.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

Very tidy kev but i'm looking to build toobs.
b.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Snarblinge wrote:I'm in research phase and agree it's a bit of history, just wanted to know more about it, there was a post on here a while back I was reading, that said it was 4 tube 12watt, which is the kinda thing i'm looking at how is it set up? PCB / tag? inputs, Tone/gain control, basic stuff really. pics would be nice. may build a replica. will hassle the Jansen vaults once i'm on the right track, as always NZG 1st port of call.

thanks
Will post photos when I can. New computer and camera aren't on speaking terms yet. (#%@*&!!!) :evil:

Construction is Point to Point with one line of big tags. Very little wire, just one component soldered to the next. Two 12AX7's, two EL84's. Output tested 2 years ago with 1970s Mullard 84s by Clarry. 12 watts clean, 18 watts full noise.

Volume, Bass, Treble. 2 inputs named Instrument and Bass Guitar/ Microphone The Bass input is noticeably hotter and gets fairly gnarly.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

sounds exactly like the sort of thing I want to build!!
was looking at something with single tone Volume gain, and aiming for that 12clean level. keen for pics no rush, i understand about the computer thing, mine was stolen, and I have borrowed a PC (don't get me started) scanner won't work, printer is oK and camera is a hassle, all old files in one huge mac backup file I can't access and insurance slow as.. grrrrrr.

thanks
b.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Snarblinge wrote:sounds exactly like the sort of thing I want to build!!
was looking at something with single tone Volume gain, and aiming for that 12clean level. keen for pics no rush, i understand about the computer thing, mine was stolen, and I have borrowed a PC (don't get me started) scanner won't work, printer is oK and camera is a hassle, all old files in one huge mac backup file I can't access and insurance slow as.. grrrrrr.

thanks
Soon as I can, I'll strip her and get you some nudie shots. :wink:

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Not the 4/12, but might be useful to some of you?

He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Here's a useful link I suggest you bookmark:

http://www.ozvalveamps.org/jansen.htm
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Snarblinge »

Cheers Slo, and thanks Rog, already in the link list :)
b.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Thought I'd forgotten huh?
IMGP0010.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG
IMGP0016.JPG
IMGP0015.JPG
IMGP0007.JPG
IMGP0005.JPG

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Wow - v cool.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves