Single 12 recommendations

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Re: Single 12 recommendations

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:
slowfingers wrote: As for volume, there's little in it. The V30, Blue, Gold and G12H are all 100db though the Creamback is a paltry 97 :D
3 Db is actually quite large...Theoretically if you went up to a 2x12 you would get an extra 3 Db.... or to drive that 97 Db speaker to the same volume as the 100 Db, you would need to hit it with twice the power.
Understood. I meant to imply the Creamback had paltry output compared to the others. It's all academic anyway. I'm reading off a catalogue from the last Namm and Ryan hasn't even seen the Creambacks yet.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:In terms of woody chime Greenbacks can be nice....if it were me I'd be going Celestion Gold to get the most from the amps (and they also have good wood/chine elements). They're a great speaker and especially suit the sort of stuff you like (as I understand it). To deal with volume I would look towards modding the JTM rather than make a cabinet inefficient.

They are costly but ya gets whats ya pays for.
Yeahyeah I know. :twisted: However I'm going to maintain the illusion of keeping to my budget at least until the tolex glue has dried.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

"chine"...my spelling sucks.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Review surfing is a bad idea. Could someone please explain to me what Cone Cry is and why I shouldn't want some?

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

I'd vote the G12H as well, you should be able to run a 30w speaker off a 45w amp without too much hassle, they're a cool sounding speaker!

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Greenbacks do work pretty well in AC30s so could be a good option until you cave and get a Gold.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Greenbacks are 25 watts. They sound great in the right amps, including AC30's. I still think hold off for a little longer to gt the Gold which will give you the power handling you need plus the tone that goes with anything. Kinda like that little black dress you have.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

V30s are really efficient and present in the midrange, so you'll actually get more perceived volume for less on the amp's volume dial (ie: the opposite of taming!). Personally I wouldn't risk the lower handling of Greenbacks. But because they are such great speakers, I would rather suggest you go 2x12 and have 2 Greenbacks for 50watt handling = Solved! :mrgreen:

And don't look past Eminence too. I have a 2x12 with a Cannabis Rex and a Private Jack in it. The 'Red Coat Series' (Brittish flavour) Private Jack in particular might interest you - it's supposedly Eminence's latest Greenback copy with more handling (50watts)..

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Oh yeah...Red Fangs are now 50w rated!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote: Kinda like that little black dress you have.
HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THAT!!!!!! :oops:
Mate, if you're going to continue rummaging around under my bed, we'll have to rethink the sleepovers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

MogwaiBoy wrote: I would rather suggest you go 2x12 and have 2 Greenbacks for 50watt handling = Solved! :mrgreen:
IMGP0070.JPG
I'm kinda sorted for 2x12's :wink: