Guitar & Bass Cabs

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Guitar & Bass Cabs

Post by Karlmalised »

Im thinking of a long term build. I want to build two cabs over the next couple years, one for bass and one for guitar. However, I want to use the guitar cab as another bass cab as well as the actual bass one. First of all, Is this a realistic idea? Second, what would be the best size drivers? I want the guitar one to be either a 2x12 or 2x10 because I just like how the sound usually. The bass one, I'm thinking maybe a single 18"

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: Guitar & Bass Cabs

Post by Kris »

single 18 is a bad idea,unless you plan to stand quite a distance from the cab.Nearly all the bass speakers in the 10/12 range i've tried sound like ass with guitar.15's though i love!my recommendation is a 2x12 and a 2x15.one for bass one for guitar.Or maybe run a crossover to run both cabs and get best of both worlds

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Karlmalised »

Oh sorry, The bass cab wont be used with a guitar amp, only the guitar cab with a bass amp (with the bass cab as well)

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

i got that,but using guitar speakers for bass without some sort of protection from low frequency is asking for trouble-which is why i suggested the crossover.

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Karlmalised »

Sweet, im with ya now :) Im thinking build a passive crossover into the bass cab?

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

that would work,i used to use a celestion 18" that had that feature.but of course it was more to use as a sub ...so below 60hz or so(i cant remember now) you'd want more like 100 hz or so.its also how i know how useless 18's are for bass rigs!

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I like sealed 2x12s for both bass and guitar. I also have a 1x15 cab for bass already and it's sized so that I can make another two the same size for 2x12 speakers diagonally and mix/match. One will have something like greenbacks for guitar and the other will have something with much greater power handling for bass. Currently I have some Peavey bass speakers for the interim solution. Of course this project is very much on hold, me not having a bass or bass amp right now. Or time, or money.

Ryan at CAB is your man for advice on speakers suitable for the dual purpose role and the subsequent supply of said speakers. Chances are you'll have to make some kind of compromise on the suitablility of speakers for the dual-purpose cab, but options do exist.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand