Amp Tinkering Journey

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

Hi all just a couple of pics off what I've done and currently up 2.
Boomshanka

Tiny Terror with replaced resistors and caps in the signal chain and an
MM output transformer

5watt SE build with random parts and
Hammond trafos.

5E3 build. Procrastinating like hell.

Great fun.

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

And an Ampeg B15 build. Ryan's been a great help. Need to get a few bits and bobs from him still.

And the 5e3

aliasceiza

Re: Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by aliasceiza »

How's that tiny terror sound? Always liked them amps!

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

aliasceiza wrote:How's that tiny terror sound? Always liked them amps!
They sound great. Even better now with the changes. Got it going into a Celestion Blue. Lots more options in the amp world now.
Not a versatile amp at all but does what it does well.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Gonzbull wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:How's that tiny terror sound? Always liked them amps!
They sound great. Even better now with the changes. Got it going into a Celestion Blue. Lots more options in the amp world now.
Not a versatile amp at all but does what it does well.
Yeah, I ment after the changes, I've played one many times, what sort of improvement did the upgrades make?

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

Off course. Lots more headroom especially at higher volumes. Distortion is much less fizzy and harsh. Better tone overall. Slightly bit more noise when you crank it but that's carbon comps I guess. Amp is just more alive and articulate. Sounds like an Orange supposed to!

I got the cap and resistor kit off EBay awhile back. Alnicomagnet he's called.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Eruera »

What model B15 is it? Did you find a turret layout somewhere?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7751 times
Been liked: 4190 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mmmm 5E3!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

Eruera wrote:What model B15 is it? Did you find a turret layout somewhere?
I'm using this site as a guide CTG Electronics B15. He's done 2 versions I'm doing the older version. 1964, cathode bias. Not a lot of info of the build but there's a layout, BOM etc.

http://ctgelectronics.weebly.com/custom ... -51-b.html

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Interesting mods and stuff you have going on there.

I have a thing for trying out different coupling caps. i was wondering if you have tried any those surplus Soviet era PIO coupling caps in amps or guitars yet? They are military spec and far more available than those bourgeois mustard caps or bumble bees etc, so might be an option that works. I'd be surprised if they don't work well. They look good too.

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Interesting mods and stuff you have going on there.

I have a thing for trying out different coupling caps. i was wondering if you have tried any those surplus Soviet era PIO coupling caps in amps or guitars yet? They are military spec and far more available than those bourgeois mustard caps or bumble bees etc, so might be an option that works. I'd be surprised if they don't work well. They look good too.

Hi,
Yup I have used those caps once in a tube mic preamp restoration. I'd definitely recommend them. I think there's maybe a subtle if any difference in these and the crazy priced boutique stuff especially in guitar amps. Not worth the dollars( unless you have them)
Especially if you compare with the same capacitance value. I've got bumblebees in my Les Paul but only because I found them for cheap. Would chuck the Russian PIOs in guitars no problem.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Yeah. I am imagining a red turret board populated with Soviet era components. Would probably sound like a MIG 50 if the transformers were similar. Ebay has the soviet caps in packs of 20 or so

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

^^^ That sounds like a great amp in the making. Go the Russian PIOs they're excellent. I went with polyester or Mylar in my 5e3 but I'll see how it sounds when it's done.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

"Go the Russian PIOs they're excellent."

Soviet! i am a one of those communist hardliners :)

Lots of those parts were made in parts of the Union other than the Russian SSL. Soviet components had a reputation for being unreliable, but I am not sure if that is deserved, or if it is just 'made in the USA' snobbery etc.

I have wanted to make a turret board for my JCM 800 for ages (1987 circuit 4 holer with no MV). I have two guitar projects to finish first. I also want to build an iso box for it's cab, so I can actually use it here. One day :roll:

Gonzbull
Stagg
Stagg

Amp Tinkering Journey

Post by Gonzbull »

Aquila Rosso wrote:"Go the Russian PIOs they're excellent."

Soviet! i am a one of those communist hardliners :)

Lots of those parts were made in parts of the Union other than the Russian SSL. Soviet components had a reputation for being unreliable, but I am not sure if that is deserved, or if it is just 'made in the USA' snobbery etc.

I have wanted to make a turret board for my JCM 800 for ages (1987 circuit 4 holer with no MV). I have two guitar projects to finish first. I also want to build an iso box for it's cab, so I can actually use it here. One day :roll:
Ha I can imagine there's a few of these caps floating in space. They Soviets did crash a few rockets though. Maybe bad caps?
I suppose you can do better but boutique caps are crazily priced. The price of NOS caps like mustards is a joke as it's just what builders had around at the time and were able to get in bulk cheaply. What to do eh?