low power class A/B options?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: low power class A/B options?

Post by Aquila Rossa »

AmpShop wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:
You're confused about 'one output tube' and 'single ended amp'.
Nah. As you may see from my OP "of either single ended or A/B" i do know the difference.

You said "This is because you need push-pull to develop the conditions for the B-load-line. This infers that you have two tubes operating in opposing phase to begin with", which is not correct because it can be done on two triodes or pentodes in a single tube, so who is getting confused :lolno: .
A dual triode (or dual pentode) is effectively 2-tubes-in-1. When you use a dual triode in a push-pull output config, it's pretty much two tubes sharing a common heater and glass envelope.
nice way of describing it. wwhere is the like button or post voting function.

I only have limited funds of just over 1k. Not likely to have this kind of money again any time soon, due to being so crook. I am torn between building/buying a amp, buying a set of studio monitors, or getting another guitar. If the sheer power of G.A.S is the motive the guitar option will win (another SG). The amp or speaker options are more practical.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Aquila Rosso wrote:
You're confused about 'one output tube' and 'single ended amp'.
Nah. As you may see from my OP "of either single ended or A/B" i do know the difference.

You said "This is because you need push-pull to develop the conditions for the B-load-line. This infers that you have two tubes operating in opposing phase to begin with", which is not correct because it can be done on two triodes or pentodes in a single tube, so who is getting confused :lolno: .
Aquila - I can't tell what was in your original post M8 - it seems to have morphed slightly from how I remember it. Never mind.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

your original post - it seems to have morphed slightly
no. an edit record would show on it if that was the case. yeah, never mind. i was just joking with you anyway.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I'll get back to this thread when I stop dilly dallying [sootying] about how i want to spend my money, and if the amp option wins.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

I have some 6DZ7 valves (which are two EL84s in one octal tube the size of a 6L6).
They are designed to use as a push pull output for a very compact amp.
The cathodes and screen grids are commoned inside.
They could be used for any circuit which calls for 2x EL84.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:I have some 6DZ7 valves (which are two EL84s in one octal tube the size of a 6L6).
Nice!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson

AmpShop wrote:
Anvil Amps Alan wrote:I have some 6DZ7 valves (which are two EL84s in one octal tube the size of a 6L6).
Nice!
Want some to play with Ryan?
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

My amp runs on 6DZ7s, two of them, well it did, at the moment it's on 6L6s, but it was designed for 6DZ7s, cool tubes, mine are nationals, and they aren't as expensive as some NOS tubes!

Obviously it has a switch to change between the tube types!

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson

aliasceiza wrote:My amp runs on 6DZ7s, two of them, well it did, at the moment it's on 6L6s, but it was designed for 6DZ7s, cool tubes, mine are nationals, and they aren't as expensive as some NOS tubes!

What kind of amp is it?
Do you know how the output impedance changes (speaker matching) when using 6L6 switch?
I would be very interested in seeing that amp.
I have 8 NOS National 6DZ7s.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

low power class A/B options?

Post by Eruera »

Could high power el84 amps be made with those fellas? Like the equivalent of 8 el84s :lol:

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson

Eruera wrote:Could high power el84 amps be made with those fellas? Like the equivalent of 8 el84s :lol:
Certainly, but because they (6DZ7) are no longer made, replacements would be a pain to obtain.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:My amp runs on 6DZ7s, two of them, well it did, at the moment it's on 6L6s, but it was designed for 6DZ7s, cool tubes, mine are nationals, and they aren't as expensive as some NOS tubes!

What kind of amp is it?
Do you know how the output impedance changes (speaker matching) when using 6L6 switch?
I would be very interested in seeing that amp.
I have 8 NOS National 6DZ7s.
My amp is a custom, bilt just for me, essentialy the front end of a DR-Z route-66 into the 2 6DZ7 poweramp, SS rectified, not sure what you mean by change in output impedance between the diferent tubes, it's got a 4, 8, 16 and 2x 8 wired in series speaker outputs.

I'm not a techy about all that stuff, it puts out 32w watts within a couple of decimal points before clipping, the 6L6s have more bottom end, but not so sharp on the attack, so sound cleaner than the 6DZ7s, but both sets of tubes sound awesome, but obviously, I'm bias!

the proto type had 2 EL84s and was tube rectified, but we decided to go with SS for convenience, and the 6DZ7s to double the output but save space, and because they're a little different.

the 6L6 option was added in case I can't get hold of the 6DZ7s one day!

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:
Eruera wrote:Could high power el84 amps be made with those fellas? Like the equivalent of 8 el84s :lol:
Certainly, but because they (6DZ7) are no longer made, replacements would be a pain to obtain.
the tube store currently have them, not a bad price, but who knows for how long!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

If you have an amp you like and want to go the home studio route, do the following:

1. Get a load box with a line out. Many available attenuators and the badcat unleash will serve this purpose. it's best that the load is reactive.

2. Download Two Notes Wall of Sound. For free. Basically it's the software component of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mn9116AxiE

3. Buy a couple of two notes cab emulations to taste. I recommend the rack hero greenback cab.

...And you'll have an excellently mic-ed version of your amp's tone at bedroom levels.

This approach will allow you to build the type of amp you really want, rather than build to the volume you need. If you really want a 2xEL34 amp, you can do it.

WOS also works for improving the crappier modelers out there by replacing the cab sims.

You're welcome.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I have tried all of that HG. I even had a Palmer at one stage. Ends up sound much like sims to me tbh. I am quite happy with guitar rig through pr tool for practice, but i drift into the same problem as with pods; i.e., sloppy playing due to lack of clarity. I am keen to practice with a real amp and no effects. I am about to go to K'Rd RS to look at some 1 watt combos with cash in my wallet. Warranty is appealing, even though the prices are not. Doubt they will sell me anything tbh because i am sootying (NZG speak for indecision). There is a LP standard faded onTM i am very fond of and could muster funds for if i flick a bunch of stuff. I dunno :crazy: