Class A "sag"

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Class A "sag"

Post by fuzziebro »

There may have been a thread specifically about this topic, but I couldn't find it; (might have been lost when the servers went down in the last year or so)

I remember having some interesting conversations with Ears and Rob McCoy about this topic back in 2009.

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&start=15

I've found a better (more relevant) tube data sheet (Tung-sol 5881 / 6L6) than the 807 datasheet I posted at the time; and been meaning to post this one for a while.
Keen to know what anyone thinks about this; I'm aware that people have different views on the topic, but the Tung-sol datasheet shows an approx. 20% increase in plate current from no-signal to max-signal, so with a tube rectifier; it seems to bear out what I and some others CAN hear... a limited amount of 'sag' under class-A single ended operation... of course depending on the exact amp and how its exactly wired up!

Hi to all btw...
Attachments
5881 a.jpg

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Class A "sag"

Post by GrantB »

Is it possible that the compression factor of a speaker might contirbute to a perceived sag too? That is, the speaker reaches compression point about the same time as the tube sag would/should kick in?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jops »

So essentially causing a total protonic reversal of the particle flow?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Jops wrote:So essentially causing a total protonic reversal of the particle flow?

You're forgetting the effect of the flux capacitor
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Class A "sag"

Post by Eruera »

Most likely it's the fragile harmonics being destroyed by the crystal lattice

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Never heard of sag with regard to class A, only with tube rectifiers.

I did a quick google for class A sag to find out more and only got results for yoga classes etc to get rid of sag.

tbh, i have been hearing guitarists talk about sag since the 80s, but i am sure f all of them actually really know what it is or sounds like.

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

FunkUncle wrote:Is it possible that the compression factor of a speaker might contirbute to a perceived sag too? That is, the speaker reaches compression point about the same time as the tube sag would/should kick in?

Def could be especially if you have a speaker that is a fairly low-wattage compared to the amps output...

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Hey FB,

Long time no talk! I am still loving those EL86 :mrgreen:

Unfortunately tube specs do not tell the full story on this. Here is one for an EL86 showing the plate current actually decreasing at full power. I have seen some where it is identical. Some also as you have shown.

Just so we are talking the same language, sag refers to anode (plate) voltage dropping in response to increase in current through the power tubes and is an function of ohms law. The practical circuits described by these tube specs are imperfect and therefore the current (and voltage) may or may not vary depending on their design.

However from a theoretical perspective Class A differs from class AB in that the average current at maximum clean power is the same as at idle. This is because on a sine wave plot of plate current (assuming sine wave in) the positive current and negative current with respect to idle are identical and therefore cancel each other out. If the average DC current change is zero then the average DC voltage change is zero.

In class AB one half of the sine wave is is cut-off for part of its period. Therefore mathematically the average current is changed (increased) by the difference between the current in the non cut-off half and the cut off half. The average current change results in a corresponding voltage decrease hence the sag.

So in theory a perfect class A amplifier does not sag. An imperfect or practical one one may, depending on the design. In class AB it will sag, assuming a constant circuit impedence (talking theoretically again).
Greenstone Amplifiers

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Hey Rob. ... Nice to see you. (*UNIQUE*)
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Hey G, thank you! I lurk from time to time, just not doing too much lately (next project is a HiFi :mrgreen: )

Rob
Greenstone Amplifiers

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

FunkUncle wrote:Hey Rob. ... Nice to see you. (*UNIQUE*)
Yeah, change back . That's done
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I'm thinking of changing his name to bretts... Hi Rob, good to see you around - and Paul too :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Rob! Fuzzybro! Awesome to see you both on here again.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Thanks guys. I am thinking of changing my name to Shaniqah but that should really be a different thread.
Greenstone Amplifiers

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Can you change my name to Daza152 ?
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks