So why does this amp do the bizzo but my same model doesn't?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: So why does this amp do the bizzo but my same model does

Post by Aquila Rossa »

i think the clue may be in the way the bass notes on the low E string peak even with the lightest touch. i hope 'my precious' mustards are not leaky though, Clarry measured them before he gave them to me. :shock:

amp also needs lead dress and solders fixed etc. quite a bit of work. would be cool to get some before and after clips.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Hmmm... the plot thickens! Hopefully Ryan can sort it out for you man

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

sirvill wrote:Hmmm... the plot thickens! Hopefully Ryan can sort it out for you man
this amp is my NZG soap opera. i have been threatening to take this amp to Ryan for literally years. now i know what needs doing the chances of it actually happening are much higher.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Aquila Rosso wrote:i think the clue may be in the way the bass notes on the low E string peak even with the lightest touch. i hope 'my precious' mustards are not leaky though, Clarry measured them before he gave them to me. :shock:

amp also needs lead dress and solders fixed etc. quite a bit of work. would be cool to get some before and after clips.
If Clarry tested them for leakage I'm sure they'll be sweet.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

AmpShop wrote:Hmmm, that's weird.

It could be that one or more components are out of tolerance or faulty ... could even be those Mustards - sought-after as they are, they can be leaky.
Your mustards are leaky bro. That would be strange in any other context, but here.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Those 800's are beast! There is no way you shouldn't be getting a tonne of gain... My guess is a tube. Had the same thing happen to me on my 800.. it just sounded clean all of a sudden, couldn't get anything more out of it. I had just put new tubes in it too. The secong tube had totally shat the bed. That was that. But I can remember thinking how it just sounded like a clean amp. Probably the same thing with yours.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Cheers. I hope it is not a tube because they are all NOS. Tubes were tested though, with the amp underperforming then too. But they can play up anytime if something it not quite right. If that is the case, it may be the Brimar in V2 because that went through postage from overseas. I also suspect some of my soldering my not be up to scratch, which is causing a bad connection.

Funny that the non master volume '1987' version seems so gainy in that clip above. It is more than i even think of 2204s having. If i can get that from a stock circuit i will be very happy and the amp with be a keeper.

P.S. I ran into a clip of your's on YouTube yesterday. Stripped down and rebult a Jansen Bassman, then 800'd it. Very impressive techy stuff.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

PPS. I actually burned the board slightly in one spot when i replaced all the resistors back when i was on Metroamp forum tips thing. I was using a soldering iron that just was not hot enough. Due to that, i am thinking of pulling the board and putting a turret board in. Ryan is all set up for that. Rather than go for the classic 1968 'plexi' layout, i may go for the 1981 revision in the clip above. I did wonder if the guy is honest about it being stock though, but your statement that these amps 'are beast' lends support to that. Edit: Just emailed Marshall to see if they have spare boards for this amp still.

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Also had a dry joint once which was just enough to knock the voltage down a notch which then killed a lot of my gain in a little 18w I had. Can be so many things but you will get there, those 800's are worth it! Yeah that conversion from the Bassman to the 800 worked pretty well in the end, didn't have a lot of time so just threw in the clone layout. I would like to re do that amp with a custom layout I have since drawn, way less hook up wires and big ol earth strap to one earth lug, and a couple of mods to tighten her up. Those Jansen trannies are so good! I think they are a bit more like 60 watts. That has a stock 800 circuit in it and the gain on it is ferocious, so yours should be in the ball park indeed, you will get to the bottom of it I'm sure!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Does the '68 have pre-amp control like a 2204?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Aquila Rosso wrote:PPS. I actually burned the board slightly in one spot when i replaced all the resistors back when i was on Metroamp forum tips thing. I was using a soldering iron that just was not hot enough. Due to that, i am thinking of pulling the board and putting a turret board in. Ryan is all set up for that. Rather than go for the classic 1968 'plexi' layout, i may go for the 1981 revision in the clip above. I did wonder if the guy is honest about it being stock though, but your statement that these amps 'are beast' lends support to that. Edit: Just emailed Marshall to see if they have spare boards for this amp still.
I am a massive fan of the turret board, you can get them close to point-to-point and you can work on them easily and modify when you want. I am taking my 800 round to my mates rig soon. That will bring out the beast.. yes they have a mighty snarl that you must get back..

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

calling card wrote:Does the '68 have pre-amp control like a 2204?
Yep, but no master volume, and one less gain stage.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

elams1894 wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote:PPS. I actually burned the board slightly in one spot when i replaced all the resistors back when i was on Metroamp forum tips thing. I was using a soldering iron that just was not hot enough. Due to that, i am thinking of pulling the board and putting a turret board in. Ryan is all set up for that. Rather than go for the classic 1968 'plexi' layout, i may go for the 1981 revision in the clip above. I did wonder if the guy is honest about it being stock though, but your statement that these amps 'are beast' lends support to that. Edit: Just emailed Marshall to see if they have spare boards for this amp still.
I am a massive fan of the turret board, you can get them close to point-to-point and you can work on them easily and modify when you want. I am taking my 800 round to my mates rig soon. That will bring out the beast.. yes they have a mighty snarl that you must get back..
yep. leaning towards a full rebuild. it is in a shameful state right now after my noobish attempts at amp work. only way to learn though is to get in there and do it. urgency to get it sorted has not been high because i tend to not use the amp much due to living in an apartment and not jamming because of sh!tty health.
Does the '68 have pre-amp control like a 2204?
This layout is two channels with separate volume controls, just like a plexi from 68 through to reissues now. No master volume, although i plan to put one in the back. Pity the amp comes in the modern JCM style shell because i am real fond of the old JMP ones, but beggers can't be choosers huh.