Frankenamp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Frankenamp

Post by calling card »

My Haze 40 morphing into a JMP 50 plexi. It started a while back with this 1.6mm carbon steel flat pattern, I folded it - wish it were as easy as writing that. Marked & measured, agonized over fractions of millimetres at times the rest of it. The top adapter plate is 2mm aluminium, sprayed in VHT wrinkle paint. Back panels recycled packing case plywood. Drew up my own 'plexi' faceplates and had them cut/etched by local engravers. They really do line up magnificent with the chassis, just sitting approx til the controls go on.
Anyway looking forward to what happens next on the Amp Shop bench. :)

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Frankenamp

Post by ash »

Using your work skills for good instead of evil!!

Mighty fine :D
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Wow nice!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

ash wrote:Using your work skills for good instead of evil!!

Mighty fine :D
Funny you should say that, I've dubbed it 'Black Op'. I could only discuss where it owes it's origins to verbally over a beer. You'd be surprised 8)
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice work Eno!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Looks beautiful so far. How's this shaping up?
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

very cool. amazes me what some of the ppl here can do with DIY projects. i do not have the patience for DIY. always mess it up or get stuck half way through. stick to playing my gat.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Man, that looks awesome!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

sweeeet! bring the build pics!

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

Looking at the bottom three pics, the "agonized over fractions of millimetres" is readily apparent. That is superb craftsmanship. Keep the progress pics coming!
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

A last chance ride out of town on xmas eve and arrived the following day. Knew I should'a photoed it there in then sitting outside on the concrete in the sun. Went straight into action, short acquaintance with sound dial in and gigged two nights. Way too loud for the little venue (brought the 5E3 for the news years eve session). Will shoot some tonight.
Thing is you ought to hear it!!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

True to my word here's some pics from the shadows of the cave. Ryan's brief was to do a circa 1968(year) circuit for 1987 JMP, no added things like master volume etc... Just turn the loud tap on like my Twin. I wanted a fender jewel pilot but it had to have classic marshall knobs, chickens just wouldn't be right. The cab and hollow chassis left home weighing in at 16kg, came back 8kg or so heavier with a circuit & iron.
It sounds good!! quintessential marshall, I found the lead channel a bit brittle & piercing and switched to the normal channel with it's rich ever so dark tone, pushing up the treble & dropping bass control. I boosted with catlinbread SFT pedal set pretty much to treble boost, gain off, treble max, bass min. I've got something else planned for this.
Loud with volume on 2 out of 10. The original 'marquee' 66watt speaker from the haze doing a great job. I remember first playing that haze & thinking the speaker had a plastic oily quality of sound then after a couple hundred hours it bloomed into this dry crispy distinctly marshall thing.
Ryan's done some good stuff here, I know little of, just leaving him to it with an empty chassis based on 1968 era and a chunk of kickstart funding. At idle the thing makes the right amount of white noise, very quiet for such a raw beast.

Last edited by calling card on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

calling card wrote: I found the lead channel a bit brittle & piercing and switched to the normal channel with it's rich ever so dark tone
Get that volume knob up past 7 and this channel won't be brittle and piercing at all. It will be rich and godlike!!!

It'll also be LOUD.....(and hopefully not too much for your 66 watt speaker.....)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Ah yes get to critical mass!, Must mess around with a patch lead between channels too.
LOL I indeed hit about 7 on the initial fire up and got some very concerned looks by my hosts, explore I shall...

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

NZRS_Matt wrote:
Get that volume knob up past 7 and this channel won't be brittle and piercing at all. It will be rich and godlike!!!

It'll also be LOUD.....(and hopefully not too much for your 66 watt speaker.....)
I second this :) Crank it up and let the lows and mids catch up with the highs (which have the unfair advantage of passing through the bright cap) ... or patch the inputs and dial in just a wee bit of the normal channel to warm things up.

That speaker is really good - I was expecting it to be a "cheapest you've got" ala Rocket 50, but it's actually really sweet, and was handling the amp's output nicely.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz