Is this wiring 8 or 16 ohms?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Is this wiring 8 or 16 ohms?

Post by Molly »

Copying the wiring exactly from my Marshall 2x12. Right input supposed to be 8 ohm mono (left is for stereo - ignore that bit).

The speakers are 16 ohm and in this pic the right pair of wires go to one speaker (red positive / black negative) and the left do the same on the other speaker.

To my mind it's wired in parallel rather than series. Does that not mean that the impedance remains at 16 ohm for that mono input?

Thanks chaps.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Re: Is this wiring 8 or 16 ohms?

Post by Jay »

parallel is half the impedance, series double (add up) - assuming both speakers have same Ohm rating
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:parallel is half the impedance, series double (add up) - assuming both speakers have same Ohm rating
Ah.... I've misunderstood that for donkey's years then. Thank you. So, as there are two 16 ohm speakers that is indeed 8 ohms.

How is a Marshall 4x12 wired that four 16 ohm speakers results in a 16 ohm cab? Off to Google it.

Cheers.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

series-parallel...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:series-parallel...
Ah. Did go and look at a few diagrams. Thanks.

My H&K doesn't have an impedance selector but apparently puts out 25w into 16 ohms and 40 into 8 ohms. So, I'm guessing it's factory-set at 8. That make sense? I've always believed less into more (8 ohm amp output into 16 ohm speaker) was OK whereas the opposite isn't?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

That make sense? I've always believed less into more (8 ohm amp output into 16 ohm speaker) was OK whereas the opposite isn't?
Solid state - yes. Valves - depends on the output transformer. If the manual doesn't say you can, I wouldn't do it.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Cheers. I've no occasion to at the moment. Just setting up my new 212 with a couple of 16 ohm speakers and wanted to ensure it was 8 ohms for the new Boogie. Only tired it through my Boogie 412 so far but that's up for sale.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Yes - when two output sockets are wired like that they are wired in parallel to the same OT secondary. So if its a 16R secondary, then you would want to run 1 x 32R cab to each socket to get a 16R load (32R||32R = 16R). If you run 1 x 16R cab to each socket, that will be an 8R load in total, and therefore the reflected load back through the OT to the output tubes will also be halved - which means the output tubes won't work as efficiently or last as long (all other things being equal). But it usually doesn't do any immediate harm to run output tubes at half the optimum load.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

That's good to know. In the case of the H&K I can't think why they didn't just put an impedance selector on there.

Many thanks.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Actually on second glance I think those might be switching jacks and I see there are two sets of red and black wires running to them. So I would want to see a schematic. If the red leads are coming from different taps of the OT secondary then you might have a switching impedance option built in. Can't really tell without details.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

The left jack insertion disconnects the right one and connects to one speaker only. I don't use any stereo output stuff so that bit doesn't concern me. Cheers. Appreciate the replies.