First build... Plexi?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

First build... Plexi?

Post by philly »

Hi all..
Contemplating my first guitar amp build... thinking of an 18w tmb type
I've done a little bit of soldering before... a mic preamp... I didn't actually complete it tho..
I built the main board.. the power supply and the... er.. switch section (phase, 48v, pad).. but didn't have a chassis so it sat for ages until a mate bought it!
I don't actually know too much about what each part actually does so i'll be approaching it as you would a jigsaw puzzle or Sudoku.. if that makes sense
Are there any kits I should consider.. the ceriatone?.. or are the ones with the "branded" parts noticeably better?
Thanks in advance for advice
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: First build... Plexi?

Post by TmcB »

Suggestion: have a chat to Ryan at the Ampshop. He's likely to have some advice, parts, and/or kits for you to go further with.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I didn't think Ceriatone did kits any more, CDog on here built an awesome 18Watter recently from a kit, but I believe the shipping time on it was ridiculous...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

TmcB wrote:Suggestion: have a chat to Ryan at the Ampshop. He's likely to have some advice, parts, and/or kits for you to go further with.
Ditto:

I got everything from Ryan for my first build at an incredible price, and most of the parts from my 2nd from him also
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

Ampshop... didn't know about them... would rather shop locally
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Some interesting vids on the subject here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TubeDepotTV/videos

I'd be interested to know what the finished thing costs you. Keep us posted if you would.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

certainly :-)

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'll mention it as no one else has yet...

Have you any experience working around High Voltages and Capacitors that can store enough energy to kill you ?

If not I would be very careful and get some instruction/advice from someone who has.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

I did a "restricted" electrical license in Sydney a few years ago... not much on caps tho...
to be honest ... I was going to assemble as much as I could... then take it to a tech to give it a once over

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Assemble yes you're ok, but the instant it's plugged into the wall and the power switch is flicked, it is potentially lethal.

robroymcoy, who doesn't post on here anymore, built my amp and the various other Greenstone amps floating around the forum. He really knows his stuff but I know he's had a few whacks. Even when you think you're being safe, you can get caught out.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I'll mention it as no one else has yet...

Have you any experience working around High Voltages and Capacitors that can store enough energy to kill you ?

If not I would be very careful and get some instruction/advice from someone who has.
Yeah, it would be a bit of a bugger if you electrocuted yourself.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

We've got this huge 380v 3 phase 200 amp plasma cutter at work, it commonly had issues from time to time, things like a pilot spark gap adjustment etc... Thing is I'd look at these huge caps and transformers in there unaware of what danger lurked. Spine tingling thinking about it after becoming aware of tube amp dynamics. Dodged a bullet or two there.

True plexi is EL34 based in my mind.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

ive only had one shock to date, touch wood, but it was 450vdc from 3x power 100uf caps... i was carrying the chassis and a loose wire from a top-cap valve - an 807 - dropped onto my arm, it was not pleasant, and i had heart palpitations for a week or so afterwards...

you need to dis charge the power caps each and every time before making adjustments/mods... and check with a multimeter that they are actually discharged... normally a couple of alligator clip/leads with a 10k power resistor make a useful discharge tool.. but you'll need to skill up on this stuff via suitable googling etc...

Doc Murray
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Doc Murray »

I've bought from this supplier before happy with the their products http://www.mableaudio.com/en/products-20.html

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Doc Murray wrote:I've bought from this supplier before happy with the their products http://www.mableaudio.com/en/products-20.html
Dang those head shells and amps are cheap!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.