Fender Champ Clone (Warning - Tweed Purists Beware)

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lostininverness
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Fender Champ Clone (Warning - Tweed Purists Beware)

Post by Lostininverness »

Managed to join a kit Champ clone moderately successfully together - despite one newbie assumption that sucked a week of fault finding out of my life - many thanks to Ryan for trying to help me sort through that process!!

The kit is from mojotone, running through a weber 8" speaker. Has a little hum once you get past about 6 on the dial. I spent some time with Guy Benfield of Electric Audio Ltd yesterday who has given me some advice on things to try to reduce the hum and generally improve the amp. He is a fantastic guy and would recommend anyone looking for amp repair work in the SI to check him out.

Was a fun project (apart from aforementioned newbie mistake) and really happy with the result!! Had a chance to crank it today when my wife took the kids away for a few hours. Is excellent with a boost pedal and a fuzz. Didn't seem to like the BSIAB pedal too much tho....

Went for a non-traditional tolex finish, which may not be everyones "cup of tea" but fk-it, its mine, and I like it!!! The corners are a bit rough but ok - originally intended to use metal corners, but they just looked too big when placed on.

Anyway, here it is, thought I'd share so that if anyone else is considering a kit build but just not sure if its worth it, do it - it really is a lot of fun!!
IMG_8157.jpg
IMG_8159.jpg
IMG_8161.jpg
(Obligatory gut shot)

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Re: Fender Champ Clone (Warning - Tweed Purists Beware)

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Nice one, well done. Always satisfying your first build.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Every time I see one of these self-builds I'm in awe but after a day spent rewiring a guitar and being generally dissatisfied with the quality of my soldering I'm doubly so. Shame you didn't have it finished for last weekend. Would've loved you to bring it over to the Gearfest. Maybe next time.

I think Ryan recommended Guy Benfield when I retubed an amp recently and needed to get it biased. Good to hear another recommendation.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the whole project cost you do you think? And do you have a background in this stuff or did you just 'give it a go'?

Cheers.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome dude, love the tolex LOL!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Cool, if it makes you feel better I spec-ed my Mojotone 5E3 with burgundy snake hide :)

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Lostininverness
Gibson

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Nice one, well done. Always satisfying your first build.
Thanks Mate, yeah, had a big grin on once it was running!
jeremyb wrote:Awesome dude, love the tolex LOL!
Thanks JB!
calling card wrote:Cool, if it makes you feel better I spec-ed my Mojotone 5E3 with burgundy snake hide :)

Now that is a work of art!!! Love the burgundy touch!! Thinking of maybe doing a 5E3 as well - checked the exchange rate with the $US and see we aren't so competitive anymore! Might wait a bit.

Lostininverness
Gibson

Molly wrote:Every time I see one of these self-builds I'm in awe but after a day spent rewiring a guitar and being generally dissatisfied with the quality of my soldering I'm doubly so. Shame you didn't have it finished for last weekend. Would've loved you to bring it over to the Gearfest. Maybe next time.

I think Ryan recommended Guy Benfield when I retubed an amp recently and needed to get it biased. Good to hear another recommendation.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the whole project cost you do you think? And do you have a background in this stuff or did you just 'give it a go'?

Cheers.

Yeah, was trying to get it done in time, but ran into issues with no sound being made - not a good sign for an amplifier! It's no where in the same league as the splawn.......but its pretty cool when pushed a bit, nicely broken up and still at low volume. And so much more enjoyable than rewiring a guitar!!

Yeah, would definitely seek out Guy, he was really good to talk with, and he knows his stuff.

I got the kit awhile ago when the exchange rate was better, and got the kit complete with speaker and tubes, plus extras like feet, corners (didn't use), tolex and speaker covering with heaps left over (intention to stockpile and create the snakeskin amp family). Was bought back by my father in-law so saved a bit on shipping. So at a rough guess, would say it cost around the $600 mark.

No background in doing this stuff. Have built some pedals so soldering skills are slowly getting better. Although amp soldering and pedal soldering are a bit different cos of scale. But want to give it a go, learn a few things, I don't want to work in my current job for ever....markets to small if I only wanted to build one type of product..... rant over....

Mindryde
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Mindryde »

Great, love the covering! Another plug for Guy Benfield. He did a small mod to one of my 6v6 amps the other day. Very helpful and knowledgable.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

nice one. Love the Champ

Lostininverness
Gibson

Thanks guys! It took a few months but did the changes that Guy recommended, and its all now hum free! So yeah, would suggest any in the cantab region check him out with any amp issues.

Am in the process of starting to put together the snakeskins next bigger brother...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Excellent! :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Lostininverness wrote:Managed to join a kit Champ clone moderately successfully together - despite one newbie assumption that sucked a week of fault finding out of my life - many thanks to Ryan for trying to help me sort through that process!!

The kit is from mojotone, running through a weber 8" speaker. Has a little hum once you get past about 6 on the dial. I spent some time with Guy Benfield of Electric Audio Ltd yesterday who has given me some advice on things to try to reduce the hum and generally improve the amp. He is a fantastic guy and would recommend anyone looking for amp repair work in the SI to check him out.

Was a fun project (apart from aforementioned newbie mistake) and really happy with the result!! Had a chance to crank it today when my wife took the kids away for a few hours. Is excellent with a boost pedal and a fuzz. Didn't seem to like the BSIAB pedal too much tho....

Went for a non-traditional tolex finish, which may not be everyones "cup of tea" but fk-it, its mine, and I like it!!! The corners are a bit rough but ok - originally intended to use metal corners, but they just looked too big when placed on.

Anyway, here it is, thought I'd share so that if anyone else is considering a kit build but just not sure if its worth it, do it - it really is a lot of fun!!

(Obligatory gut shot)
Now that's just beauuuuuutiful! Well done, tolex looks lovely too. 8)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

That's the coolest thing. I want to make one!