PYE Radiogram - Vibrolux First project Amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: PYE Radiogram - Vibrolux First project Amp

Post by jeremyb »

:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Scooter13 wrote:Well then...you outta know.
I am not saying it is not valuable advice. It is very important tip that could genuinely save a life and I do apreciate it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
I am not saying it is not valuable advice. It is very important tip that could genuinely save a life and I do apreciate it.
ah a humerous response I believe

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY[/youtube]
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Bg wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:

It was good that you were here to remind him.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

aww man, you learn
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
The other piece of advice I got from the same source was, "Never solder in your underpants."
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

to be fair, I was told to always sit on my hand when testing. Especially when working on defibrillators. but yeah same gist really. they never mentioned the underpants thing, but I guess in a classroom we weren't in our underpants.

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

slowfingers wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
The other piece of advice I got from the same source was, "Never solder in your underpants."
Haha, I red the same thing. My favourite parts was the three step guide for draing capacitors. Something like

1) place 1 small screw deiver between the positive lug and chassis
2) use one small chicel to dislodge the newly welded screwdriver from the chasis
3) use one small chisel to remove the leftover screwdriver from the chasis

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

TmcB wrote:
Bg wrote:
It was good that you were here to remind him.
A little too ironic don't you think?

I'll get my coat...

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Bg wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:

Sorry fellas. I was still chewing crayons when Alanis was big. Consider the refernce noted and the hilarity enjoyed.

Cortez
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Cortez »

Awesome! Another old bit of music gear saved from the scrap heap. Have you checked the cab isn't infected with borer? I just scrapped one the same as it was too far gone. Mine had a Celestion Alnico speaker that was voiced for HIFI, but shared some bits with the vintage G12. Score! If it does have borer, try treating it with kerosene. It will stink afterwards, but it does go away after a few days. I currently have a recycled amplifier on display in the Canterbury Museum that I built as part of an art project I was involved with. You should see how much of the original wiring/chassis you can reuse. Good luck!

JustMatt
Gibson

Post by JustMatt »

Cortez wrote:Awesome! Another old bit of music gear saved from the scrap heap. Have you checked the cab isn't infected with borer? I just scrapped one the same as it was too far gone. Mine had a Celestion Alnico speaker that was voiced for HIFI, but shared some bits with the vintage G12. Score! If it does have borer, try treating it with kerosene. It will stink afterwards, but it does go away after a few days. I currently have a recycled amplifier on display in the Canterbury Museum that I built as part of an art project I was involved with. You should see how much of the original wiring/chassis you can reuse. Good luck!
Hey, I have two girls and take them to the museum a lot so have been through the exhibition more than my fair share of times. There is some super cool stuff in there. I wll keep an eye out for the amp next time.

do you have pictures of it? I had some ideas for styling but have hit a bit of a creative road bloxk so back to square one. Some inspiration may help.

beleive it or not the cabinet is 100% borer free but we do get some in the house so might look at treating it anyway.

I hope to use the chasis and may be able to do something with the speakers but everything else looks completely shot. The inside is just oozing wax.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

slowfingers wrote:
ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
I can't imagine there'd be anything in your underpants that would benefit from soldering.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I'd keep it as a good old analog am radio, I've abandoned tv in favour of tuning in to radio nz national.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

hamo wrote: I can't imagine there'd be anything in your underpants that would benefit from soldering.
Not a 'Man of Steel' huh? :shifty:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.