Detuned 2x12

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Detuned 2x12

Post by jeremyb »

So... I currently only have one speaker I can use with the new amp coming (EXCITING!!!!) and was thinking of building a 1x12, but maybe I should make a 2x12 and leave a blank spot for another speaker? how much of an effect will this have on the toan? I could leave it without a hole there in the baffle even... thoughts? would be making something fairly compact, and a vertical 2x12 for a mini-stack sort of look :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Detuned 2x12

Post by TmcB »

Moar bass projecting into the room. It's more blooming bass, not tight bass though. It's quite nice and surprisingly loud.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Closed speaker cabinets raise issues of tuning and cabinet resonance. One of my bandmates builds such things for a living and he still makes my head explode with the complexities of the subject.
Executive summary:
You can't chuck speakers into any old sealed box without potentially giving yourself many problems.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mmmm, would definitely look at building something from known dimensions, copy a boogie one or similar :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Had a 4x12 detuned at one stage, benefits are :

No longer beamy, more open and roomy
Lighter
Just as loud, surprisingly
Bass not as tight

Disadvantages:
Can't put as much power through it. Only a problem if you have 2xgreenbacks in it really
Bass not as tight

Because its detuned as well - i.e. a great big 12" hole in it, you shouldn't have issues of cabinet resonance.

Just go for it, if you don't like it, bang another speaker in there. Open the back up. Open half the back and seal the other. In fact, there are no rules - if it sounds good then it is good.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I reckon build a 1x12 to the Thiel specs.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

bbrunskill wrote:I reckon build a 1x12 to the Thiel specs.
Needs the right type of speaker tho', looked into it before, would rather go the traditional way :oops:

fuzziebro
Tokai
Tokai
Been liked: 1 time

Post by fuzziebro »

jeremyb wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:I reckon build a 1x12 to the Thiel specs.
Needs the right type of speaker tho', looked into it before, would rather go the traditional way :oops:
Yeah I'd be careful with that advice - There is a whole different world between Hi-Fi and guitar speaker cabinets - a Thiel box needs a matched speaker to the dimensions for the equations to work - so you cant chop and change speakers or you have defeated the whole Thiel theory. Thiel would also never recommend pine for the enclosure material. We're not building a studio monitor, we're building a musical instrument with colour, tone and style, not an uncoloured product which correctly shows a "finished" product.

Theres a forum member "wholelottalove" who doesnt post here much anymore, but he made a lovely 2 x 12 with vintage 30's and the whole back of the cab, he had hinged, so he could open it as much as sounded 'right' (or have it sealed)...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah looked into them before, bit of a clart around. Think they crop up on trademe occasionally and here.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Also could be keen on an empty 2x12 or 1x12 if anyone has something... hmmm might save myself a lot of hassle and buy one of these... http://www.musicworks.co.nz/electric-gu ... eaker-cab/ chuck my eminence wizard in it and be done with it...

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I love the sound of my 2x12, I think I fluked the dimensions just right. I don't know what it would sound like with one speaker but if you want to try it out and get some measurements then no worries.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote:I love the sound of my 2x12, I think I fluked the dimensions just right. I don't know what it would sound like with one speaker but if you want to try it out and get some measurements then no worries.
Chur bro, but looks like Danny is sorting me out with an empty cab :)