Need help to identify a component...

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dylan
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Need help to identify a component...

Post by dylan »

Short version, can anybody tell me what these are?
component.jpg
Same size as a 1/4w carbon film resistor, resistance unkown (get a different value every time i measure them, mostly around 250k ) , one reads no capacitance, other reads 3uf, no visible codes or markings.

Long version - my hifi amp (pp20w el34's) lost left channel after recent bumpy house move, looking inside amp, one of these mystery components had a broken connection. (They were connected between the legs of the main power caps). I assumed they were bleed resisters for the caps, but having removed the working one now both sides silent so it looks like ive found the problem. Both components were brittle with heat damage, legs fell off working one as i removed it..

So, mystery component shorting the main power caps, amp silent without them. Can anybody suggest what these might be?
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Need help to identify a component...

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

They are small power resistors.
probably dropping resistors for the power supply, thats why no sound.
What amp is it? (So I can see a schematic)
A photo of where they came from And I can help you find suitable replacements.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Need help to identify a component...

Post by dylan »

Thx for reply AAA, amp is an ecofan mk3 - made by murray dick (r.i.p).

I soldered new leads onto the components and stuck them back in, both channels worked until heat buildup undid my flaky solder connections.

Off to jaycar for new multimeter probes, once i can successfully read the values ill order some replacements.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil: