Capacitors and other component supply

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Capacitors and other component supply

Post by Single coil »

The switch is great, but the whole "not really in stock lol" thing is just infuriating.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

never heard of that with RS before, and thats with 20 years or so of using them - both in the UK and over here. Granted I used to phone orders through or hit the trade counter. Can't write them off because of one switch though :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Other companies do it too. It's just a pain. Not a good first impression in any language.

Not likely to need another 4pdt switch in the near future though lol
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

I buy from RS Online all the time - they say whether it's available for overnight delivery, or in 6-7 days from an overseas warehouse, or whether it's on back order/discontinued. It's not like they're nasty bastards hiding it from you.

I've never had a problem - most often it's faster than I expected.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

This place is good, especially if you after big fat non electrolytic bipolar axial film type capacitors; https://www.parts-express.com/
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:Other companies do it too. It's just a pain. Not a good first impression in any language.

Not likely to need another 4pdt switch in the near future though lol
Ok, I'll put it this way. They don't do that - yes some companies do but RS don't IME. I'd suggest it was an error on your part ie you missed the bit about delivery or it was something beyond their control. They ARE and always have been the industry standard supplier for pretty much all industry. Their prices are higher than others because they deliver when they say they're going to (apart from this switch apparently) and in industry that counts for everything.

Not saying it doesn't happen but it normally doesn't, and I used to place some pretty hefty orders with them in my time in industry.

Just saying, you can't write them off as a multi-national company because of one switch ;) :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Yeah ok, rant over. What's IME?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

In my experience :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Gotcha.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:Gotcha.
alls well that ends well :) we used to call them 'ripoff supplies' though.... they were originally 'radio supplies' iirc.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

I love RS, the only people getting ripped off is them, when you order 10 resistors, and they are overnight shipped from Aussie :) (this is where a more exciting smiley should be inserted but I don't use them) if the other comparrison is Jaycar then RS every single time. sometimes you have to buy minimum (5 for the stuff i always want) but better quality stuff at cheaper pricing than Jaycar. for orders that hit the shipping thresholds, mouser or element14 usually work out cheaper for great quality stuff, but i rarely buy switches or pots. end up buying mine from the pedal suppliers. though i'm on the hunt for someone whose shipping doesnt hurt so much.
b.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Snarblinge wrote:I love RS, the only people getting ripped off is them, when you order 10 resistors, and they are overnight shipped from Aussie :) (this is where a more exciting smiley should be inserted but I don't use them) if the other comparrison is Jaycar then RS every single time. sometimes you have to buy minimum (5 for the stuff i always want) but better quality stuff at cheaper pricing than Jaycar. for orders that hit the shipping thresholds, mouser or element14 usually work out cheaper for great quality stuff, but i rarely buy switches or pots. end up buying mine from the pedal suppliers. though i'm on the hunt for someone whose shipping doesnt hurt so much.
I feel you - switches and pots are exceptionally annoying to get a hold of. Always have those shithouse jaycar ones with the stupidly oversized shaft.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I managed to get away with a teeny weeny 100k pot until such time as I could find actual 500k pots in the goldtop :lol: