Amp Case Project

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Amp Case Project

Post by Molly »

Trying to make a Marshall vintage-style case for the Bluesbreaker. Early days and I've already fucked-up the first cuts. Dunno how. I used specs from the Marshall website but it looks too tall. Will take another look tomorrow. Anyway, for now the plan is to turn this:

into this

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Amp Case Project

Post by Bg »

Why didn't you just buy a jtm45?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Hey Brian, it's hard to tell from the pics, but the one in the other pic could be the 'smallbox' model cabinet, where as the plan you've got could be for the standard sized box. Looking at my JTM45/100 it's pretty tall, and that's the standard size. Darthsabathini has got the JMP-50 with the smallbox cabinet.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Why didn't you just buy a jtm45?
Because I wanted to use the Greenbacks cab - and it was cheap.
AiRdAd wrote:Hey Brian, it's hard to tell from the pics, but the one in the other pic could be the 'smallbox' model cabinet, where as the plan you've got could be for the standard sized box. Looking at my JTM45/100 it's pretty tall, and that's the standard size. Darthsabathini has got the JMP-50 with the smallbox cabinet.
Yes. I've got the dimensions for the smallbox and that was my starting point. Needed it to be a bit deeper as it's possible it'll soon have a MV knob on the back. Then I decided to shrink it to sit nicely on the Z 4x10 which might be why it now seems tall. Pah. Bit of trial and error but it'll get there. :-)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

It wasn't that cheap, and you're fucking resale up now.

Spray it misty buff while you're on.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Seriously, give me a shout when you're done, I'll give you 600 bucks. I want the speakers too though.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
Yes. I've got the dimensions for the smallbox and that was my starting point. Needed it to be a bit deeper as it's possible it'll soon have a MV knob on the back. Then I decided to shrink it to sit nicely on the Z 4x10 which might be why it now seems tall. Pah. Bit of trial and error but it'll get there. :-)
Mate , you'll need it to be tall if you intend ever putting Kt66's in as they're quite large bottles.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I'm at a sushi train.
Make a big cab head thing Molly. Have fun thats what it's all about !

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:It wasn't that cheap...
I don't think I said what I paid for it.

If they do Tolex in misty buff that's be great.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:
Molly wrote:
Mate , you'll need it to be tall if you intend ever putting Kt66's in as they're quite large bottles.
Did read that it's necessary to lower the valve sockets if you want to fit 66s in the stock case. :thumbup:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

If ytou’re building the case better to build that in place though. Lowering valve sockets? Painful sounding.

KT’s in a small box JTM is really a drag.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:It wasn't that cheap...
I don't think I said what I paid for it.

If they do Tolex in misty buff that's be great.
Our ideas of cheap are polar opposites, was it less than 3 hand shandies? Not cheap then ;)

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Rounding the corners over gives the effect of 'shrinking' a box. It'll look great once it's finished. How are you doing the joins? Good ol' glue and screw? If so it would be a good idea to put some batten material in the corners to provide some structural rigidity.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Our ideas of cheap are polar opposites...
I disagree. I earn my money like the rest of us and don't spend, say, $4k on a guitar lightly. Always have to ensure I can get my money back because the fund is finite. If anything, I'm probably more careful that a lot of guys here precisely because I turn stuff over so much.
NippleWrestler wrote:Rounding the corners over gives the effect of 'shrinking' a box. It'll look great once it's finished. How are you doing the joins? Good ol' glue and screw? If so it would be a good idea to put some batten material in the corners to provide some structural rigidity.
No. We've a jig at work for doing dovetail joints so that's what I'll use.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
Our ideas of cheap are polar opposites...
I disagree. I earn my money like the rest of us and don't spend, say, $4k on a guitar lightly. Always have to ensure I can get my money back because the fund is finite. If anything, I'm probably more careful that a lot of guys here precisely because I turn stuff over so much.
NippleWrestler wrote:Rounding the corners over gives the effect of 'shrinking' a box. It'll look great once it's finished. How are you doing the joins? Good ol' glue and screw? If so it would be a good idea to put some batten material in the corners to provide some structural rigidity.
No. We've a jig at work for doing dovetail joints so that's what I'll use.
I wasn't commenting on how 'careful' you are, just about our ideas of cheap.

Dovetails are the way to go :) or finger joints though not as strong. I've glued and screwed with battens before but I've also put dowels in to add further to the strength of the joint. I'm sure its not needed but peace of mind.