Should I mod my 5E3?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Should I mod my 5E3?

Post by Reg18 »

]After playing Matt’s Plexi at gearfest ive been counting my penny’s and as usual I’m miles off being able to afford one.
However I came across a mod to the 5e3 circuit which makes it fairly close apparently.
I’d leave the bright channel as it is because it’s awesome and shouldn’t be touched. However I never play the normal channel and rarely blend it in with the bright.
So for not a lot of money I could convert my normal channel to Plexi style circuit.
Should I?

I’ve already had Baja Electronics install a MV on the amp and a 3 way NFB switch so it’s not unmolested anyway.
Will modding it further devalue it more?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Should I mod my 5E3?

Post by kdawg2a »

MOD IT!!!!!!!!!! Any amp that can do tweed and brown is a valuable amp in my books.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

kdawg2a wrote:MOD IT!!!!!!!!!! Any amp that can do tweed and brown is a valuable amp in my books.
For not a lot of $$ it would sure make it more useful to me, hopefully others would see it’s value as well.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Another vote for modding it, looks like an easy change!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I'd imagine a 6V6 based plexi would be something you could push without so much destruction of your hearing system. I have no idea how invasive it would be on the stock layout. Not something I'd do to my 5E3.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

That mod does sound pretty good but don't forget part of the reason the plexi sounded so good was it's big and loud and moves some air. I think a smaller watt amp will always struggle a little to capture that.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

The demo makes the mod sound good, but I'm against calling it a 'Plexi' mod. The mod is jigging with just the first gain stage which makes a difference to the simplicity of the 5E3 preamp, but is still very unlike a Plexi circuit. The Deluxe has little preamp gain but sounds huge because of how you can overdrive the power amp section - the Plexi sounds huge because of preamp distortion/voicing from twice the number of gain stages of a 5E3. The mod might get the sound close at a particular setting and (most importantly) that might sound great, but I wouldn't expect the amp to 'behave' like a plexi. But if it's a simple mod and you don't like the normal channel, it's worth a try!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

RectifiedAmps wrote:The demo makes the mod sound good, but I'm against calling it a 'Plexi' mod. The mod is jigging with just the first gain stage which makes a difference to the simplicity of the 5E3 preamp, but is still very unlike a Plexi circuit. The Deluxe has little preamp gain but sounds huge because of how you can overdrive the power amp section - the Plexi sounds huge because of preamp distortion/voicing from twice the number of gain stages of a 5E3. The mod might get the sound close at a particular setting and (most importantly) that might sound great, but I wouldn't expect the amp to 'behave' like a plexi. But if it's a simple mod and you don't like the normal channel, it's worth a try!
Interesting info, I like the pushed Plexi sound as apposed to preamp gain on full Plexi sound. So it might end up just pushing the 6v6s into fizzy preamp gain territory?
Although as the normal channel is essentially unused modding it to something more useful still might be worth it.
He posts his schematic here, which includes other mods he did as well. As I don’t really know how read the schematic can you tell me if it all looks legit?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/293 ... 0b8f_b.jpg

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

what speaker are you using with your 5e3 Reg?

what speakers were in the cab with the plexi?

You didn't get a chance to put your 5e3 through that cab did you?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

AiRdAd wrote:what speaker are you using with your 5e3 Reg?

what speakers were in the cab with the plexi?

You didn't get a chance to put your 5e3 through that cab did you?
Good point, I didn’t try my amp through his cab (which is an open back 2x12 with a Greenback and a Blue)
In my cab on that day I had my Celestion V type but I usually have a Celestion Gold in my 1x12 cab.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

How close does the 5e3 through the Gold get when you jumper the channels and turn it up LOUD?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

AiRdAd wrote:How close does the 5e3 through the Gold get when you jumper the channels and turn it up LOUD?
I have tried this but I don’t remember exactly how it compared.
I would say the 5e3 has a looser tweedy vibe as apposed to the plexis stiffer strident punch in the face type feel.
Tone wise I couldn’t confidently say how much difference there really is as it’s been a while since I tried this.
I am in the middle of building a detuned closed back 1x12 cab which might help to get closer to the feel and punch.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Reg18 wrote:I would say the 5e3 has a looser tweedy vibe as apposed to the plexis stiffer strident punch in the face type feel.
A lot of that comes down to tube VS SS rectifiers, assuming the plexi you tried was a JMP.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

godgrinder wrote:
Reg18 wrote:I would say the 5e3 has a looser tweedy vibe as apposed to the plexis stiffer strident punch in the face type feel.
A lot of that comes down to tube VS SS rectifiers, assuming the plexi you tried was a JMP.
Not sure which model it was, it’s this one.
https://i.imgur.com/5E6dDBQ.jpg

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Then there's the difference made by 6L6 tubes rather than EL34s.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.