Should I mod my 5E3?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: Should I mod my 5E3?

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Conway wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Sales thread from a while back...

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=30847
But the pix have disappeared due to photobucket nonsense... and without pix, it ain't nothin'!

Bugger, I'll dig them out when I get home. In the mean time, close your eyes and imagine a small Marshall 1x12 combo, replete with Marshall logo, but with a black faceplate
In my imagination I have no interest in this amp whatsoever. But others might imagine it more to their tastes.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Conway wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Sales thread from a while back...

But the pix have disappeared due to photobucket nonsense... and without pix, it ain't nothin'!

Bugger, I'll dig them out when I get home. In the mean time, close your eyes and imagine a small Marshall 1x12 combo, replete with Marshall logo, but with a black faceplate
like this:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Reg18 wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
I have a 6V6-based Plexi. Indeed, it is a bit less brutal to the ears, and a bit wider tone-wise

Recommended. Having said that, I am selling it! Or you can come round and try it for reference before you break out the hot iron, if you are Aucks...
Tell me more about the amp your selling.
I liked Corey’s 18watt Marshall clone and he had both 6v6 and EL84 tubes which you could switch between.
They do change the sound/feel but it’s not necessarily better or worse.
Sales thread from a while back...

And now with pics too...

The Black Cat Bone is a rare, New Zealand made, handwired, early Marshall 18w plexi-style amp. It is built into a Marshall combo, so you don't forget its heritage. Neat job and with high quality components. Sounds wonderful.

This one is a bit different though. It has been worked on quite a bit by McPherson. It has the McPherson power scaling mod on the back, so you can get good power amp overdrive at bedroom volume levels--this works well. It also has a front panel switch that changes the clipping. It has been modified to run to 6V6 tubes, as opposed to ELxx, so it has (I think) a better response across the highs (glassier) and lows (deeper). It has recently been retubed. Came to me from Mr Dino.

It gives a real 18W Marshall kind of grunty tone--vintage blues, and can deliver it at lower volume.

It has a Celestion (UK) greenback speaker fitted. The cabinet is a sturdy, older Marshall combo box, not too heavy or big. It is easily portable, for a tube amp.

Test pilots welcome on the North Shore.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Reg18 wrote:
Tell me more about the amp your selling.
I liked Corey’s 18watt Marshall clone and he had both 6v6 and EL84 tubes which you could switch between.
They do change the sound/feel but it’s not necessarily better or worse.
Sales thread from a while back...

And now with pics too...

The Black Cat Bone is a rare, New Zealand made, handwired, early Marshall 18w plexi-style amp. It is built into a Marshall combo, so you don't forget its heritage. Neat job and with high quality components. Sounds wonderful.

This one is a bit different though. It has been worked on quite a bit by McPherson. It has the McPherson power scaling mod on the back, so you can get good power amp overdrive at bedroom volume levels--this works well. It also has a front panel switch that changes the clipping. It has been modified to run to 6V6 tubes, as opposed to ELxx, so it has (I think) a better response across the highs (glassier) and lows (deeper). It has recently been retubed. Came to me from Mr Dino.

It gives a real 18W Marshall kind of grunty tone--vintage blues, and can deliver it at lower volume.

It has a Celestion (UK) greenback speaker fitted. The cabinet is a sturdy, older Marshall combo box, not too heavy or big. It is easily portable, for a tube amp.

Test pilots welcome on the North Shore.

Looks like a good amp, however once freight is considered and everything I think it’s still out of reach for me.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

It is not heavy, so I expect it would be around $50 to ship.

Are you in Wellington?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

olegmcnoleg wrote:It is not heavy, so I expect it would be around $50 to ship.

Are you in Wellington?
I’m in chch, I think it’s still a few hundred out of reach regardless though.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

ImageMy solution to modding my 5e3 to sound like a Plexi was this. Some of you no doubt have played or heard this amp, it sounds close enough to a mini Plexi to keep me happy!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Looks great on top of that super cool cab!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

damn straight, thats a cool little amp ;) Don't forget the gain push button on the chassis too :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.