What components determine amp wattage?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

What components determine amp wattage?

Post by Shimmer »

I'm not an amp builder (too scared of electric shocks!), but just curious. What are the components in, for example, a solid state amp, that determine the wattage? I mean, what are the major differences between what make an amp 10W or 100W.?
I want all the pedals!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: What components determine amp wattage?

Post by Molly »

Interesting question. I've no bloody idea but I'm sure Nik will be along in a moment to explain. I do know that a solid state amp's 100w is quite different to a valve amp's 100w. But I've no idea why.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Transformers, y'know Megatron and that lot
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Output transformer and power transistors
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Power tubes affect it also right? Different types and 2 vs 4?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Simplistically...

Power valve type & number of valves + power & output transformers in valve amps.

In solid state amps its the power supply and output transistors.

Wattage ratings are generally measured as being the point at which a certain amount of THD (say, 1%) is happening. So if you have two amps, one solid state and one valve that both are rated at 50 watts 1%THD, they'll both put out 50 watts cleanly. Beyond that, if you turn the solid state one up it'll very quickly start to sound nasty. If you turn the valve one up, you might find it gets to 70 watts at 10%THD and still sounds reasonably clean and musical, and if you really push it maybe it'll be really distorted, sound awesome, and be putting out 90 watts - whereas the solid state amp would have exploded and released smoke long before it got to that volume.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

in a tube amp, a combination of the power tubes used, how they are used, and the transformers used to both power them AND pair them with speakers.

A properly designed dual pentode amp can put out close to 100W (not clean of course), and it goes the other way too, but typically
2x EL84 = ~15W
4 x EL84= ~30W
2x EL34= ~50W
2x 6l6= ~60W
2x KT88= 80-100W
and so on and so forth.

But that's a little simplistic. The power supply design and it's efficiency plays a big part as well.

For solid state it's a lot more complicated from memory, as the solid state opamps that are doing a similar job to the tubes can only dissipate so much power as heat before they overheat and stop working effectively, so it's about more chips (more $$$) or better and bigger heatsinking & fans (more weight and size). Class D designs are becoming very popular now as they are super efficient and the weight/wattage ratio is pretty incredible when compared to standard solid state and of course tube stuff too
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense - well as much sense as I can process. I had always wondered what made the price as wattage increased. Physics eh!
I want all the pedals!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

druz15 wrote: 2x KT88= 80-100W
and so on and so forth.
You're right, it's a complex thing...my BTR23 is 2XKT88's in class AB1/A and the amp produces 23 glorious watts.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Simplistically...

Power valve type & number of valves + power & output transformers in valve amps.

In solid state amps its the power supply and output transistors.

Wattage ratings are generally measured as being the point at which a certain amount of THD (say, 1%) is happening. So if you have two amps, one solid state and one valve that both are rated at 50 watts 1%THD, they'll both put out 50 watts cleanly. Beyond that, if you turn the solid state one up it'll very quickly start to sound nasty. If you turn the valve one up, you might find it gets to 70 watts at 10%THD and still sounds reasonably clean and musical, and if you really push it maybe it'll be really distorted, sound awesome, and be putting out 90 watts - whereas the solid state amp would have exploded and released smoke long before it got to that volume.
THD = Total Harmonic Distortion
Tin arse!!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Terexgeek wrote: THD = Tetra Hydra Distortionol
:mrgreen:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Ideally, the design determines the power output. Components are then chosen to meet the design requirements.

The performance of some components limit the output of the amplifier, meaning if you need greater performance you will need to use components that deliver required performance. This allows an alternative design strategy; one can start with components known to handle/deliver certain outcomes and base your design around them.

All components of the system must be rated to meet design requirements, including humble resistors.

But simplistically, in audio application power is about delivering required electrical current into a (nominally) fixed load (the speaker).

Power = Resistance of load (e.g 8 ohm speaker) x current squared.
To get 50 watts from an 8 ohm speaker you need drive the speaker with about 2.5 amps.

Power transistors are built to control and deliver large currents.
The combination of the output transformer and power tubes does the same thing in tube ccts.

Both systems need a power supply large enough to draw from (hence BG's answer).

Ultimately it's the design that "determines" output. Even if you substitute components, say put massive KT88 valves into a cct designed for medium rated tubes like the 6V6, you will get no increase in power output, you'll still only get the lower output as expected from the original 6V6 cct. Changing the components won't magically give you higher output. And note, you can't always substitute lower rated tubes/transistors into ccts designed for components with higher ratings, they'll probably cook.

PS It is because of the large currents under discussion that you must use properly rated speaker cable to connect speakers, audio small signal cable such as guitar leads will just melt.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia