BG's Tweed Cab Build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

BG's Tweed Cab Build

Post by Bg »

Single coil wrote:Wish I had a dank workshop
I braved the dank workshop. Luckily there was so much sawdust down there it soaked much of it up.

So...

As its boxing day, I thought, make a box. This one is Vibrolux dimension, but a 5E3 Deluxe would fit as well.

So this is knotty pine from mitre10 with proper dovetails, none of that finger jointed shite ;)

Couple of hours got me to this stage for glueing overnight. Apart from the buggering about remembering how my dovetail jig worked!

So this got me thinking.

I can provide cabs, tweed style initially, either as kits (dovetailed and 4 sides). full kits (4 sides with everything else in a flat pack), half built (cab finished but no tolex or tweed) or complete (fully tweeded or tolexed), or custom etc...

The cabs I will provide will be equivalent to manufacturers spec, or the spec you provide. If you've seen my work before, you'll know its good.

I'll carry on with the tweed cab so you can see the end result ;)

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Projects in the pipeline thread!

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:
I braved the dank workshop. Luckily there was so much sawdust down there it soaked much of it up.

So...

As its boxing day, I thought, make a box. This one is Vibrolux dimension, but a 5E3 Deluxe would fit as well.

So this is knotty pine from mitre10 with proper dovetails, none of that finger jointed shite ;)

Couple of hours got me to this stage for glueing overnight. Apart from the buggering about remembering how my dovetail jig worked!

So this got me thinking.

I can provide cabs, tweed style initially, either as kits (dovetailed and 4 sides). full kits (4 sides with everything else in a flat pack), half built (cab finished but no tolex or tweed) or complete (fully tweeded or tolexed), or custom etc...

The cabs I will provide will be equivalent to manufacturers spec, or the spec you provide. If you've seen my work before, you'll know its good.

Great idea! That dovetailing is dreamy. Got the chops, start the shop! BGs cab factory 8)

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Bg wrote:

So...

So this got me thinking.

This is GREAT news

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Dude that’s sweet aye
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
Bg wrote:

So...

So this got me thinking.

This is GREAT news
Yeah I think a lot of people are put off building amps because of the price of importing cabs - especially the freight.

I didn't let that put me off, because I knew I could make cabs due to my engineering background.

Lets lose that premium and the shipping costs.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

That's a great idea.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Following!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and I can do chassis as well ;)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:
Bg wrote:
Yeah I think a lot of people are put off building amps because of the price of importing cabs - especially the freight.

I didn't let that put me off, because I knew I could make cabs due to my engineering background.

Lets lose that premium and the shipping costs.
Mate... I would totally have been a customer for 1x chassis and 2x cabinets. The freight then tax on top of that for my current kit was horrendous... money down the drain. Plus supporting a local enterprise + mate would have been far preferable. This is worthy of a new thread!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Cdog wrote:
Bg wrote:
Mate... I would totally have been a customer for 1x chassis and 2x cabinets. The freight then tax on top of that for my current kit was horrendous... money down the drain. Plus supporting a local enterprise + mate would have been far preferable. This is worthy of a new thread!
Sorry bud, yours made me think about it :) so any future builds.... let me know, you have a discount :D

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Feeling like I need a Micawber in my life...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:Image
Nice work there.... but... weren't you suppose to work on the wife' s list of things to do? :moresarc:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

The rest of us asked her and she said that was the first thing.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:
Bg wrote:Image
Nice work there.... but... weren't you suppose to work on the wife' s list of things to do? :moresarc:
She said I had a day off after all the great food I'd made on Xmas day.

So made use of it.

I'll be making window frames tomorrow, in between I'll keep on with this ;(