TC's build thread

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 918 times

TC's build thread

Post by Marshmallow »

Decided to make a dedicated build page. Sold 3 amps here. 2 to my mates and 1 to nzguitar member Been in nz for nearly 3 months and have the urge to make more amps.

I also left a couple of cabs over in Japan so building 2 more for myself. Since I don't have the tools, I head over to my mates construction site after work work on it. (Thanks to him and his help) Working on construction grade ply is harder than I thought.

Last edited by Marshmallow on Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: TC's build thread

Post by Marshmallow »

Last edited by Marshmallow on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Construction grade ply is shit. Go to plyman in Henderson they have better. No more tear out.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Have painted the insides black and now ready for sanding. Unfortunately, I can't have the tolex until the 20th.

Parts have also arrived from Japan (2x custom prefolded chassis, sockets, power supply, opt, Reverb and choke) and nz mouser (pt and the rest of the components). 40w set from japan arriving in the next few weeks. Waiting for the board to arrive then I'll start processing the chassis. Same process, longer wait.

Will be making 1x 10w amp and 1x 40w amp.
Last edited by Marshmallow on Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 pm Construction grade ply is shit. Go to plyman in Henderson they have better. No more tear out.
Agreed. It was really hard to work on... But it's free... Sound-wise, it's a good tonal balance for a larger 1x12 cabinet against a pine cabinet. Not much different than the birch ply cabinet I built a few months ago as well.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:03 pm Image
Nice work but why do you put two extra uprights in on the photo on the left and for the one on the right, I see an extra top and bottom bit of ply?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:15 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 pm Construction grade ply is shit. Go to plyman in Henderson they have better. No more tear out.
Agreed. It was really hard to work on... But it's free... Sound-wise, it's a good tonal balance for a larger 1x12 cabinet against a pine cabinet. Not much different than the birch ply cabinet I built a few months ago as well.
yeah, but I wouldn't feel good about using it for a cab, on a headshell no problem, but common wisdom says void free ply for cabs - and construction grade is riddled with voids. Whether you can hear the difference is another matter. I'm sure I couldn't.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Jay wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:27 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:03 pm Image
Nice work but why do you put two extra uprights in on the photo on the left and for the one on the right, I see an extra top and bottom bit of ply?
Purely a design choice haha. Got the idea from TR and String driver cabs...

Bg wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:34 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:15 pm
yeah, but I wouldn't feel good about using it for a cab, on a headshell no problem, but common wisdom says void free ply for cabs - and construction grade is riddled with voids. Whether you can hear the difference is another matter. I'm sure I couldn't.
I understand what you are saying. May have to take back what i said about it being shit. 🤣 probably just used to making cabs with pine. I wrote construction grade because it was in a construction site haha, but I am not really sure what the off cut ply my friend gave me is. I knew that the ply costed him over $220 a sheet. The ply seems to be really dense and probably void free as well and may have been from ply joinery scraps. The cabinet shown in the image posted earlier is still quite rough as it has not been sanded. See images below for references of similar material, 12 ply and 13 ply type. :think:

I also haven't really played guitar for a while now since selling one of my combos. Hard to turn down free wood if it means being able to play until I can setup a small workshop at my garage.

Quality not so far from the morgan tbh.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... inet?mod=d

Last edited by Marshmallow on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Marshmallow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:11 pm

OMG, Kueh Lapis, mouth wateringly good

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Jay wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:54 am

Have you had this? https://www.foodelicacy.com/indonesian- ... ayer-cake/ - mum used to make this every now and then. Bloody good!

Sorry, back to cabs. That looked great! Didn't see any voids. I used construction ply a few times, but not for cabs. They were crap and lots of voids.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

codedog wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:07 am
Jay wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:54 am

Have you had this? https://www.foodelicacy.com/indonesian- ... ayer-cake/ - mum used to make this every now and then. Bloody good!

Sadly not

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Jay wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:11 am
codedog wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:07 am
Jay wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:54 am OMG, Kueh Lapis, mouth wateringly good

Sadly not
Perhaps in the next guitar fest. (Soon I hope) Haha.

Speaking of cab materials. Let's see how it turns out in the end or in the long run. Had a quick go and sounded majestic.. could be because i havent played in a while haha. In terms of whether to make the cab out of plywood or solid wood, I definitely want to use solid wood in the future just because I'm more used to working with solid wood in general.

https://youtu.be/-eeC1XyZxYs?si=G5XezHZw-cTYsfOW

Saw this just now.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

2 more cabs needed. Pine for the 2nd lot.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Had a mini gearfest/jam sesh/tone talk with Warren (blackstratblues) and our mate Jack early this morning. Was awesome!!

Still waiting for livesound to open as well but the board arrived so I'll be processing the board and chassis soon or later.