Where to get components locally

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Where to get components locally

Post by FuzzMonkey »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:13 pm I should have a .68uf in my stash but not sure about volatges. Can dig around when I get back tomorrow.

They’re no longer useful for small orders, but RS components used to keep NZ stock although that seems to have changed post-covid. They definitely hold some stock in Australia so shipping can be 2-3 days for some products.
I think most of, if not all of their stock comes from Australia now. The shipping is pretty steep if you are only ordering a few items but free if you spend enough. I haven't placed an order with them for a while now so things might have changed.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

If you're doing an order from Evatco let me know and I'll get involved to save on shipping.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I dug around and found some options. Just PM me with your address if any of them would work:

IMG_3843.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 2110 times

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

If you could mail that yellow cap to me, or the one at the bottom of the pic, that would be a great help. Cheers. I'll P.M soon

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:01 pm There must be a reason they use 160v or greater. I just trawled TradeMe looking for one. No joy.

They used that cap because the same cap was used in other amps Marshall were building at the time and they like simplifying their inventory. It's not for safety, sound or any other reason.
Also that is a 1960's era cap design - a wide range of voltage ratings wasn't available from Philips to choose from at that time.

I also have loads of different 0.68n caps that will work for you if you if you get stuck. I'm on the shore.
Your cathode only has 2 or 3 volts on it, so the cap just needs to be more than that.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:27 am If you're doing an order from Evatco let me know and I'll get involved to save on shipping.
Cheers, but the 0.68uF/680n part they have is on backorder. I follow a couple of Aussie amp tech and modding channels and they have a lot more stuff over there, but still plenty of the hassles we do.
That was one of the only things I like about Michigan and my two years over there. Anything you need for guitar related parts and components can be at your door within a day or two. It's a great place for that and also if you like junk food (although proper Mexican food there was awesome -- huge servings for not huge money)

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Optical wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:24 am
Aquila Rossa wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:01 pm There must be a reason they use 160v or greater. I just trawled TradeMe looking for one. No joy.

They used that cap because the same cap was used in other amps Marshall were building at the time and they like simplifying their inventory. It's not for safety, sound or any other reason.
Also that is a 1960's era cap design - a wide range of voltage ratings wasn't available from Philips to choose from at that time.

I also have loads of different 0.68n caps that will work for you if you if you get stuck. I'm on the shore.
Your cathode only has 2 or 3 volts on it, so the cap just needs to be more than that.
That would be great. My nephew works in Albany and would probably not mind picking it up for me. I got another person helping out, but he is is Welly Town and would have to mail it to me.
All the time I have been searching Google for this cap in NZ and then I remembered good old NZ guitars. I used to be here a lot, but I natter on the internet a lot less these days.
BTW. I quite like those red Panasonic ones. Much smaller than 0.68uf from Sozo etc.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

P.S. I saw that the voltages on that pin are very low.

I see folks selling those old Phillips mustard caps for over 100 dollars each on Ebay and the 0.1uf and 0.68uf ones are getting even rarer than the 0.022uf ones. That amp tech fella in Titirangi is sitting on a treasure trove (I am not sure if he is still working, or has retired -- there's another one on New Lynn that might be okay).

Folks say they like the look of the old caps. Nobody sees inside the amp though, so what's the point of paying hundreds to equip an amp with them? I dunno (rhetorical question). Each to their own I guess.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 am
NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:27 am If you're doing an order from Evatco let me know and I'll get involved to save on shipping.
Cheers, but the 0.68uF/680n part they have is on backorder. I follow a couple of Aussie amp tech and modding channels and they have a lot more stuff over there, but still plenty of the hassles we do.
That was one of the only things I like about Michigan and my two years over there. Anything you need for guitar related parts and components can be at your door within a day or two. It's a great place for that and also if you like junk food (although proper Mexican food there was awesome -- huge servings for not huge money)
The 680nf they do have in stock are 630v monsters from a generic brand, so not much good.

https://www.evatco.com.au/metal-film-63 ... capacitors

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I found somewhere and ordered a couple of polyester caps and some other stuff. I have never heard of Suntan brand caps from Hong Kong, but it should be fine for a cathode and if not, well never mind as long as my valves don't get sunburned. :P
I'll know by how long it takes to ship and get here if they really are from NZ, or are yet another one of those resellers that import after checking out. Techexpress NZ. Four days and it still has not shipped, so maybe I should have just gone to Valvestorm after all. Oh well.

Thanks for your offers of caps and other help folks.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 155751.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 155751.png (103.87 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Never heard of Techexpress before. They say theyre based in Palmy North but they don’t give a physical address so it’s probably a reseller.

Suntan brand is what jaycar and other retail electronics shops sell. They’re nothing special but they’ll do the job.

And I’m still happy to post you any of the ones in my photo!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

RectifiedAmps wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:33 pm Never heard of Techexpress before. They say theyre based in Palmy North but they don’t give a physical address so it’s probably a reseller.

Suntan brand is what jaycar and other retail electronics shops sell. They’re nothing special but they’ll do the job.

And I’m still happy to post you any of the ones in my photo!
Cheers. At least I found a nice set of heat shrink.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Blinkin' heck. That seller took a week to ship, but just issued a partial refund too. Yes, they refunded $4.30 for the capacitor, i.e., the main thing I was after. Where's that fella that offered to post me one? PM incoming.

What a pain in the butt just to get a cap. It makes want to import a bunch of these kind of things to supply folks with, so other Kiwis never have this hassle too. It's not often somebody needs a 0.68uF cap though I guess.

Bad week. I missed out on a 1936V cab I thought I would win on TB, plus my new surgeon just declined a second spinal surgery. My last one at Greenlane hospital approved a spinal fusion just over a year ago, but I had to move out to west Auckland, so I was no longer in his DHB. I had to start over from square one in a different DHB. Bureaucracy huh? Oh well. Such is life and all that bollocks :P

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I bit the bullet and just ordered it from Valvestorm in the USA. To avoid this crap happening again, I ordered a bunch of other passives that I may or may not need in future.

I also bought what I need to finally build out a Trinity Amps 18 watt turret board I bought from somebody here about a decade ago.