Where to get components locally

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Where to get components locally

Post by Aquila Rossa »

As per the thread title. Most folks say Digikey etc. But they are not in NZ. I just need a 0.68uF 160v cap for the cathode bypass on the treble channel of a JMP 1987. Nobody in NZ stocks stuff like that, which means international shipping costs to get a one dollar part. It's a pain in the butt. Paradise has its downsides huh.
P.S. NZ Tubes has a few bits and pieces, but only a pricy Solen brand audiophile cap in this value.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: Where to get components locally

Post by robthemac »

@strummers share shipping on caps with this guy
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I don't think there's anywhere to get good stuff locally but I've ordered from Evatco in Australia many times.

https://www.evatco.com.au/electronics/capacitors/

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:47 pm As per the thread title. Most folks say Digikey etc. But they are not in NZ. I just need a 0.68uF 160v cap for the cathode bypass on the treble channel of a JMP 1987. Nobody in NZ stocks stuff like that, which means international shipping costs to get a one dollar part. It's a pain in the butt. Paradise has its downsides huh.
P.S. NZ Tubes has a few bits and pieces, but only a pricy Solen brand audiophile cap in this value.
160V for a cathode bypass capacitor? Would have thought 25V would be ample
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:09 pm I don't think there's anywhere to get good stuff locally but I've ordered from Evatco in Australia many times.

South Island Components are still operating down here in Christchurch: https://www.sicom.co.nz/?function=prodl ... ysrender=0
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:06 pm
NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:09 pm I don't think there's anywhere to get good stuff locally but I've ordered from Evatco in Australia many times.

South Island Components are still operating down here in Christchurch: https://www.sicom.co.nz/?function=prodl ... ysrender=0
"Good stuff" is a key term there. They don't list manufacturers, data sheets, and at those prices I presume it's the same level of stuff I could get at Jaycar. If you want the good shit you gotta go overseas.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:24 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:06 pm

"Good stuff" is a key term there. They don't list manufacturers, data sheets, and at those prices I presume it's the same level of stuff I could get at Jaycar. If you want the good shit you gotta go overseas.
They used to be the go to for local manufacturers back in the 90s, one would hope the quality has continued...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Jay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:04 pm 160V for a cathode bypass capacitor? Would have thought 25V would be ample
If that's the case, I think I've got some Vishay Roederstein MKT 1813 caps somewhere. I'm pretty sure I have a few 0.68uf / 680nf but only rated at 63-volts if I recall correctly. I'd need to dig them out to confirm.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Jay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:04 pm
Aquila Rossa wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:47 pm As per the thread title. Most folks say Digikey etc. But they are not in NZ. I just need a 0.68uF 160v cap for the cathode bypass on the treble channel of a JMP 1987. Nobody in NZ stocks stuff like that, which means international shipping costs to get a one dollar part. It's a pain in the butt. Paradise has its downsides huh.
160V for a cathode bypass capacitor? Would have thought 25V would be ample
Yeah, seems overkill, but that's what they spec, so best use it I guess. Other pins on that socket have over 200 volts, but the cathode voltages are tiny. Maybe it's a safety thing in case of a short. 200 volts running back thru the input into your guitar would give you a good kicking for sure.

@Fuzz Monkey. Cheers for mentioning you might have something. Mail and all would be a hassle though, especially for just one sodding cap. I might have to think up some reason to import a bunch of stuff all at once to make the shipping cost worth it.
hxgvljz5eh2wmfbuyyul.jpg
hxgvljz5eh2wmfbuyyul.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 970 times

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

P.S. Notice that Guitar Parts NZ is not in NZ now? They are only in Oz now. Fractal's NZ dealer is based over there as well. Probably a few others too. Aussie is near enough the same thing as NZ it seems.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:06 pm @Fuzz Monkey. Cheers for mentioning you might have something. Mail and all would be a hassle though, especially for just one sodding cap. I might have to think up some reason to import a bunch of stuff all at once to make the shipping cost worth it.
I dug them out and the ones I have are indeed rated at 63-volts. They are these caps:

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/film-cap ... 30537?gb=s

www.fantailaudio.com

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Cheers.

But I think 63v is probably plenty, because the 330uF electrolytic cap on the normal channel is just 25v. I'll play it safe though. There must be a reason they use 160v or greater. I just trawled TradeMe looking for one. No joy.

This will teach me for turning into a half blind, clumsy, almost old effer (I burned the spare 0.68uF Sozo cap I had -- coffee was not working that day hehe).

I think I have the parallel resistor though. 2.7K I think.I have to use a multimeter to work out what the eff they are, because I am colour blind. At least I spell colour correctly I guess :P

I like this site. Checklists, parts to buy, and loads of info. https://valvestorm.com/

They have nice looking head cab. I got one from Ceriatone and it turned out to be their new style. I want a proper Plexi small box looking one. The amp deserves it. When it's all in order it sounds killer. I might have to do that and grab a few caps and stuff while I am at it -- but stay under the GST threshold (a few dollars for a hard to source cap is turning into spending hundreds -- such is life).

1345686741.jpg
1345686741.jpg (511.24 KiB) Viewed 918 times

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

When ive needed a single component Clarry has helped out

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Or Simon at Bogan Boutique Amplifiers:

https://www.facebook.com/boganboutique

www.fantailaudio.com

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I should have a .68uf in my stash but not sure about volatges. Can dig around when I get back tomorrow.

They’re no longer useful for small orders, but RS components used to keep NZ stock although that seems to have changed post-covid. They definitely hold some stock in Australia so shipping can be 2-3 days for some products.