6g14A Showman Build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Re: 6g14A Showman Build

Post by Capt. Black »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:08 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:44 pm You will definitely choke when you work out the total cost!
The fact is a 6g14a is pretty much not going to turn up
Here and they are pricey in the states plus shipping , risk and transformer fuckery then all the trappings of a 60yr old amp.
Truth! A dear old friend of mine owns a 63 showman. But he’s likely to be buried with it!
I did a deal/favor for him back at the start of The Manor where I paid for Clarry to give it a full service in exchange for having it at the studio for a year or so.
Blonde tolex, blackface with the brown face style white knobs.
Beautiful sounding amp that worked particularly well through a random 2x12 I had, loaded with old Celestions. Can’t recall the exact speakers but they complimented that amp superbly.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:44 pm You will definitely choke when you work out the total cost!
Here and they are pricey in the states plus shipping , risk and transformer fuckery then all the trappings of a 60yr old amp.
Truth! A dear old friend of mine owns a 63 showman. But he’s likely to be buried with it!
I did a deal/favor for him back at the start of The Manor where I paid for Clarry to give it a full service in exchange for having it at the studio for a year or so.
Blonde Rolex, blackface with the brown face style white knobs.
Beautiful sounding amp that worked particularly well through a random 2x12 I had, loaded with old Celestions. Can’t recall the exact speakers but they complimented that amp superbly.
Fantastic
A 63 in a blond shell would be the 6g14-A layout. I’m hoping to match this to a 2x12.
I like the idea of celestions and have been thinking along those lines for my blonde bassman. Setzer uses a similar set up.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:59 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:38 pm

Blonde Rolex, blackface with the brown face style white knobs.
Fantastic
A 63 in a blond shell would be the 6g14-A layout. I’m hoping to match this to a 2x12.
I like the idea of celestions and have been thinking along those lines for my blonde bassman. Setzer uses a similar set up.
Pretty sure the Celestions were G12-65s. Probably from between mid-70s to the mid-90s. I never checked but the 2x12 was a funny little thing like the top half on a 1960A cab. It came with my forever amp '74 Super Bass 100, which itself was housed in what can only be described as, a very nicely adapted portion of Rimu bookshelf. :lol:
Once I'd clicked buy now on Trade Me, I discovered the owner was a good photographer acquaintance of mine who was in punk bands around the '78-82-ish period. Trivial but kinda nice background story.