borge
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

3xp90 2xtoggle switches for jazzmaster

Post by borge »

my current build is a Jazzmaster copy :maple neck, Rosewood FB, sapele body, recessed TOM, LP style pearl block inlays, CBS headstock. black beauty colour scheme: black finish and pickguard, all gold hardware and pups. :o

I wanted to try controls like Troy Lan Leeuwen's yamaha (anyone played one?) which is:

3xp90
3xvol
master tone
1st toggle: bridge/bridge+neck/neck
2nd toggle:middle off/add middle/middle pup only(turns other pups off)

except a master vol instead of 3 individuals.
I also have some DPDT on/on slide switches which im going to put in to add to the jazzmaster look. ATM I plan on one turning the neck on/off for Morello style stuttering (with the1st toggle, not the slide) and the other for mid phase reversal but I'm sure there would be better uses for these?

BY my calculation a normal LP toggle wont do the 2nd toggles function and i need one of these 3 pup LP switches:

hopefully this is how i want to wire it?
(1st toggles in the centre, 2nd toggles on left, other switches are slide switches.)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: 3xp90 2xtoggle switches for jazzmaster

Post by ash »

I think a normal toggle might be capable of the Troy switching deal. You can use one side of the switch for the middle P90 and the other side for the Neck/Bridge pair. Or you can have one side to hot and the other to earth with the mid and n/b on opposite terminal each side. Haven't worked it out myself, but I reckon one way or other would do it.

I would make that neck cutout switch short the hot wire to earth too, otherwise you might find the off position picks up stray noise rather than being properly off. Of course that means it will kill both pickups when both are on.

You should replace the sheilded cable on the middle P90 with a sheild+2-conductor cable between the pickups and the phase switch so that the sheild isn't conducting the hot signal when its out of phase.

I prefer to have the neck/bridge on a 3-way toggle and blend the middle in with its own volume pot.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: 3xp90 2xtoggle switches for jazzmaster

Post by borge »

ash wrote:I think a normal toggle might be capable of the Troy switching deal. You can use one side of the switch for the middle P90 and the other side for the Neck/Bridge pair. Or you can have one side to hot and the other to earth with the mid and n/b on opposite terminal each side. Haven't worked it out myself, but I reckon one way or other would do it.
You're talking about a mini toggle not a standard LP toggle right? The thing is, I don't like the look of mini toggles, I want the switches to match :roll:
I would make that neck cutout switch short the hot wire to earth too, otherwise you might find the off position picks up stray noise rather than being properly off. Of course that means it will kill both pickups when both are on.

I wouldn't be using it as a killswitch per se, just for occasional stuttering effects, surely the noise would be barely noticeable if I'm only flicking it off momentarily? or you mean its going to add noise to all 1st toggle positions?
either way I added it because i couldn't think of/didn't know a better use for the slide switch, maybe a series/parallel for the m+b for a pseudo humbucker tone would be more useful?
You should replace the sheilded cable on the middle P90 with a sheild+2-conductor cable between the pickups and the phase switch so that the sheild isn't conducting the hot signal when its out of phase.
the pup i planned on using in the middle is 2core+shield, which brings me to my next dilemma: I have a KA alnico vintage (around 8k) and a matched pair of SD's SP90-2's (ceramic, around 11k and 14k)I brought on a whim off TM before the 3pup idea came along.
i plan on putting the KA in the middle as it has the 2c+shield and then the matched pair would be in the most used positions, but the output mismatching will probably mean the mid will be too quiet on its own :|
I'm mulling over getting rid of the SD's for some more vintage spec p90s, maybe even getting a pair of handwound ASH p90s to match the KA :) but then the KA might sound a bit dull so I'd need 3 ASH p90s :o decisions decisions, wheres the chin stroking emoticon??
I prefer to have the neck/bridge on a 3-way toggle and blend the middle in with its own volume pot.
That makes alot more sense, and more versatile, but I need a master vol. geez anyone would think I'm difficult :o :roll: thanks for the help :)