Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: operation V-nix

Post by Ironbird13 »

okay, dredge time,.
just realised its been almost a year since i got this body off ash :shock: and i've done feck all to it so far :oops: so now that im in a flat where i've got a bit of shed space to work on it i thought i should. so i've sanded the body down ready to attack it with a blow torch again :mrgreen: and have reshaped the headstock, just needs a bit more sanding. but am a bit stuck with fitting the neck and mounting the bridge ,hardtail by taking the trem block off a strat style trem and screwing it down :mrgreen: now would the 3 screws that hold it to the trem block be enough to hold it to the body or should i put a couple of screws through the front holes as well? (where the trem is normally screwed to body by)
and the other question is... the scale, its a 25.5" scale neck, now when i measure from the nut to the bridge to get that scale, is it 25.5" to the short/middle or long side of the saddle adjustment?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

Stewmac.com wrote:Bridge placement for 25.5" scale:

Distance from the fretboard edge of the nut to center of forward-most mounting screw or pivot post.

Strat tremolo bridges - 25.25" (±0.030")

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

cheers Ben, hmmm, might have to make the neck pocket a little longer
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

all I ever do with bridge placement is measure from nut to 12th fret (high E side) then measure that same distance from 12th fret to body and bam that's where the saddle is when its wound out almost as far as it can go....then do the same for the low E and add a mm or so
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

heres a few pics of progress so far, still gotta burn the body again, and a shitload more sanding,
any advice on the best way to get the grain on the neck(maple) and the pickgaurd(woodn't have a clue what sawta wood it is, it just had cool grain :wink: ) to "pop" i was thinking staining black then fine sanding back so only the "grain" remains black and the rest white(natural) am i thinking along the right track? if so/not, how do i go about it properly?
i am wanting to finish it in Tru-Oil if that makes a difference to the stain?

just sitting together...

the pickgaurd/pickup ring, wanted to do something "different" that i havnt seen before and i think i've acheived that :lol: :lol: still got a bit more carving i want to do, was done with a "dremmel" with a sanding drum. was quite surprised how easy it was, havnt really done any "carving" before.

does this answer your question AR?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I'm trying to imagine how you can make the AcePro neck look evil enough for the V-Nix.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: operation V-nix *now with progess pics*

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Holy shit balls ... that's ten types of awesome!
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

That carved pickup ring/scratch plate looks so fricken cool! 8)

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Very nice. Just a thought, it's hard to tell from the pic how thick your carving is, but looking at the fixed bridge depth you might end up with an action half inch off the fretboard. Might pay to put a machine head on and see where the string sits?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

that's looking very cool......generally stain with a dark colour then sand will "pop" the grain a bit
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

ive tried.....i really have....but i just dont "get" pointy guitars. its like red cars....compensation much? :roll: :wink:
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

cheers all.
Vorbis wrote:Very nice. Just a thought, it's hard to tell from the pic how thick your carving is, but looking at the fixed bridge depth you might end up with an action half inch off the fretboard. Might pay to put a machine head on and see where the string sits?
yeah its gonna be pretty close to the strings, still have to take about a mm off between PUp and bridge, but yeah still wanna run a string over it all, even to check if i need to shim the neck
Kloppsta wrote:ive tried.....i really have....but i just dont "get" pointy guitars. its like red cars....compensation much? :roll: :wink:
thats okay, i dont "get" round guitars, uncomfortable to play, especially when sitting..... :roll: :lol:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Looking sick man, keep up the good work. 8)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4189 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cool 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

THAT LOOKS GREAT !!!! After meeting you at NP gearfest, I can totally imagine you playing that !!! I couldn't think of any other guitar suiting you more!

I suck at artistic stuff - but I'll have a go anyway. I don't know if it would work and/or look cool, but would it be possible to have the pickup sitting under your wooden pickguard, so that it was hidden. It might not be possible to get the pickup close enough to the strings. I played a Tele on Thursday that had a secret humbucker under the pickguard in the neck position.

PS. I'll send that humbucker to you on Monday. I totally forgot to send it sorry.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

AiRdAd wrote:I don't know if it would work and/or look cool, but would it be possible to have the pickup sitting under your wooden pickguard, so that it was hidden. It might not be possible to get the pickup close enough to the strings.
yeah i had been thinking that, but not too sure that i could get the wood thin enough to get the PUp close enough to the strings (i want high output not vintage :wink: )
AiRdAd wrote:PS. I'll send that humbucker to you on Monday. I totally forgot to send it sorry.
no rush, might still be a while before i can try it out :D