Restoring milky finishes

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

cheeseboy777
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Restoring milky finishes

Post by cheeseboy777 »

Total n00b question but is there a way of restoring cloudy / milky finishes without having to resort to a total refinish? I rescued a bass from an abusive relationship and it has some areas where the finish is totally milky, I guess from either being left in the sun or next to a heater or something, I'll chuck up a pic below. The case it was in was like wet-damp, she was covered in mildew =/

Any help appreciated! Please use small words.

Time to restring? Check our site for the cheapest deals in NZ!

http://www.guitarstuff.co.nz

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Re: Restoring milky finishes

Post by AiRdAd »

Have you thought about using a cutting compound. I recently did this bass, and it was totally munted. The cutting compound made it absolutely shine. The one I used was a 3M one. I don't think it is avaiable in shops - I got it from the wholsaler who supplies carpainting businesses. I have still got some, so I could send you over enough to do the bass if you wanted to try it.

This one is creamy like a polish and doesn't have grit in it, like other cutting compounds.

I have posted pics of the bass before, but here is aanother one, not because you need to see it, but because I'm so damn proud of myself!!!! hahaha
Attachments
DSC02103.JPG
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Milky finish. Genius.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

thehenderson wrote:Milky finish. Genius.
:lol:

cheeseboy777
Squier

Post by cheeseboy777 »

AiRdAd wrote:Have you thought about using a cutting compound. I recently did this bass, and it was totally munted. The cutting compound made it absolutely shine. The one I used was a 3M one. I don't think it is avaiable in shops - I got it from the wholsaler who supplies carpainting businesses. I have still got some, so I could send you over enough to do the bass if you wanted to try it.

This one is creamy like a polish and doesn't have grit in it, like other cutting compounds.

I have posted pics of the bass before, but here is aanother one, not because you need to see it, but because I'm so damn proud of myself!!!! hahaha
Hey she looks like a stunner, nice job! Thanks for the very kind offer, I actually have a panelbeater mate so I'll try him first but might take you up on that if he doesn't have anything.

After a really good clean it's looking pretty good, I think a lot of the cloudiness was due to the fact that it was so damp, it's a lot better now after a polish and dry.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder, probably is time to get my sample analysed...
Time to restring? Check our site for the cheapest deals in NZ!

http://www.guitarstuff.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7762 times
Been liked: 4195 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'd start with elbow grease and turtle wax before I tried a cutting compound, you don't want to take too much off, but then again those finishes are pretty thick.... hmmm.... :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

All great sex puns aside, I like a milky finish.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Before using abrasive cutters I'd find out from those who know if the cloudyness is on the surface of the finish or goes full depth.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

jeremyb wrote:I'd start with elbow grease and turtle wax before I tried a cutting compound, you don't want to take too much off, but then again those finishes are pretty thick.... hmmm.... :?
Yeah - probably good to point out that the guy who suggested that took a whole bunch of paint off. Not just the breakfast milk.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've seen that cloudiness on clear before where moisture has had it's way, needs a little sunshine.
Looks like poly...the only thing that can damage it is 40 grit paper, sledge hammer, chainsaw etc...
Wouldn't hurt to get into it with fine paper & rubbing compound - my 2c.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus