Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Determining Pot Type

Post by Slowy »

Apologies if this is a well worn question.
I have a bunch of guitar volume & tone pots in a box. I presume it's possible to use a multimeter to determine if they're linear or audio taper. Could you please explain how?

Thank you :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Determining Pot Type

Post by Bg »

the easiest way is to see if they're marked A or B on the back - A is Audio.....

I've done it before in the past with a Scope and a signal generator, but TBH if they aren't marked I just throw it away and buy another.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Place multimeter across the two outer terminals. Adjust pot to the middle of its physical rotation. If the reading on your multimeter is half the total pot value (e.g 50k if the pot is 100k) then you have a linear pot. If the reading is more like 10k then you have a logarithmic (audio) taper.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

handlefras wrote:Place multimeter across the two outer terminals. Adjust pot to the middle of its physical rotation. If the reading on your multimeter is half the total pot value (e.g 50k if the pot is 100k) then you have a linear pot. If the reading is more like 10k then you have a logarithmic (audio) taper.
besides looking for the "a" and "b" (or the odd "c") this is how I'd do it...

also, if the reading is more like 90K (in the aforementioned scenario) you've got a "c".. but that depends on if you've got the multimeter on the right referenced side...

don't let me confuse ya.. just do what handlefras says..
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

isn't POT type determined by how hungry you get afterwards??....the hungrier you get the better it was :wink:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

willow13 wrote:isn't POT type determined by how hungry you get afterwards??....the hungrier you get the better it was :wink:
I was about to post something about seeing if there's any seeds but you kind of beat me to it! :lol: :lol:
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
willow13 wrote:isn't POT type determined by how hungry you get afterwards??....the hungrier you get the better it was :wink:
I was about to post something about seeing if there's any seeds but you kind of beat me to it! :lol: :lol:
And I had a bet with myself on how long this would take......... :roll: :lol:

Thanks Handlefras & Rocklander, I'll try that. Don't want to throw them out because they're mostly new CTS, but my Black Tele has linear pots which I find useless. Hoping some of the spares are Audio.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

slowfingers wrote:
Vince wrote:
And I had a bet with myself on how long this would take......... :roll: :lol:

Thanks Handlefras & Rocklander, I'll try that. Don't want to throw them out because they're mostly new CTS, but my Black Tele has linear pots which I find useless. Hoping some of the spares are Audio.
If they're CTS they will be marked...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:If they're CTS they will be marked...
I'll have a closer look when I get home from work.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

OK. 'Cos this is a noob question, here's too much info:
No A, B or C. Back is stamped EP4985 250K 1010 CTS
Metering the outer pins resulted in a consistent reading of 1. Outer and middle pins ranged fron 0 to 26. Halfway is 12 so I guess that answers the question.

A box full of useless pots....Frack.
Now I know why they were given to me! :lol:

Hey MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!
Slowfingazza

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

4985 is linear taper 250k.
If they are Allparts CTS, 0085 will be Audio Taper 250k. 0086 is Audio 500k, 4986 is linear 500k :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

ralley
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ralley »

Your pots are fine - the instructions above are wrong, you must measure between one of the outer lugs and the middle lug, measuring between the two outer lugs will always give you the maximum resistance of the pot. Sounds like you have your meter set to too lower range hence the reading of "1".
Send lawyers guns and money,
The shit has hit the fan.
- Warren Zevon

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

ralley wrote:Your pots are fine - the instructions above are wrong, you must measure between one of the outer lugs and the middle lug, measuring between the two outer lugs will always give you the maximum resistance of the pot. Sounds like you have your meter set to too lower range hence the reading of "1".
Well spotted. Sorry about the mistake. And as ralley says, check the range that the multimeter is set on.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

"by crushing day
4985 is linear taper 250k.
If they are Allparts CTS, 0085 will be Audio Taper 250k. 0086 is Audio 500k, 4986 is linear 500k :)"

They are. They came from you and that's exactly the info I was looking for. Will file it for further orders. Thanks Iain.

" ralley wrote:
Your pots are fine - the instructions above are wrong, you must measure between one of the outer lugs and the middle lug, measuring between the two outer lugs will always give you the maximum resistance of the pot. Sounds like you have your meter set to too lower range hence the reading of "1".

Yep. Spotted that too. Thanks!

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

handlefras wrote:
ralley wrote:Your pots are fine - the instructions above are wrong, you must measure between one of the outer lugs and the middle lug, measuring between the two outer lugs will always give you the maximum resistance of the pot. Sounds like you have your meter set to too lower range hence the reading of "1".
Well spotted. Sorry about the mistake. And as ralley says, check the range that the multimeter is set on.
funny how one sees what one wants to? I assumed the instructions had that there.. :oops:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass