robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Ask the Luthiers

Post by robnobcorncob »

Rog wrote:During the "Norlin Era", Gibson Les Paul body designs were greatly altered, most notably, the change to the neck volute. Because the Les Paul had the reputation of having an easily broken neck joint, the volute strengthened the neck where it joined the headstock to avert breakage. To further increase the strength, the neck woods were changed from mahogany to a three-piece maple design. The LP body was changed from a one piece mahogany with a maple top into multiple slabs of mahogany with multiple pieced maple tops (also called a "pancake body').
Yup! I have a Norlin era Les Paul Custom, 3 piece maple neck (no volute) ebony fretboard, mahogany body and 3 piece maple top. Mine's not a pancake body though.

The most common brand I've seen that's used scarf joints in their necks are Ibanez

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

robnobcorncob wrote: The most common brand I've seen that's used scarf joints in their necks are Ibanez
no wonder Rog hasn't seen much in the way of a scarf joint.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

LOL, I have owned a couple of Ibanez - which is why I have a low opinion of them. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Rog wrote:LOL, I have owned a couple of Ibanez - which is why I have a low opinion of them. :D
Join the club. Actually I just don't like RGs.

Daza152

Post by Daza152 »

Are Musicworks Luthiers? not joking want some work done and don't know anyone else in Gisborne to ask?? cheers.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Daza152 wrote:Are Musicworks Luthiers? not joking want some work done and don't know anyone else in Gisborne to ask?? cheers.
yep they sure are
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Ok luthiers, are my frets stuffed? The pics are from my '89-'90 Epi Les Paul Custom which has fairly small flat frets. The intonation is shot on this thing, and it really needs a pro setup. I'm wondering how much impact the fret damage has on intonation and whether I can just get the frets leveled and dressed, or whether they need complete replacement. And yes, I realise a should probably just take this to a shop, but its 6.20pm and I'm sitting in Masterton so my options are a little limited at the moment.
Attachments
5th Fret
5th Fret
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Ironbird13 wrote: would i be better to use PVA or Aliphatic?
Both will work, but Aliphatic is a little better on dubious surfaces and materials.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Ironbird13 wrote:back to the neck/headstock construction....
what the hell is going on here?
You mean the laminated strip? Gibson did the smae thing of the original explorers. It's a reinforcement that stops the headstock from snapping along the short grain.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

handlefras wrote:Ok luthiers, are my frets stuffed?
Half stuffed. A proper fret dress will leave you with about half the frets' life to play with.

Yes, it will be affecting intonation a little bit and it will take careful crowning to ensure an improvement.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

ash wrote:
Half stuffed. A proper fret dress will leave you with about half the frets' life to play with.

Yes, it will be affecting intonation a little bit and it will take careful crowning to ensure an improvement.
Thanks ash, appreciate your expertise on this. After posting I actually got new strings, wrapped them round the tailpiece (which I had never tried before), changed the tune-o-matic back to the original (had a cheap nashville style bridge for more adjustment) and got some noticeable improvement in intonation. Still not real good, but definitely better.
Hades wrote:
Me thinks your frets are the least of your problems :D

:lol:
Playing a well intonated gat would sure help me get over the Masterton blues though.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Frey wrote:What is the solution for a loose and resonant truss rod?

Tighten said rod with handy-dandy nut?
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vaseline whilst tightening your nuts :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Maybe it's been overtightened and broke?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Vorbis wrote:

Tighten said rod with handy-dandy nut?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.